'77 Wraith II AC Compressor Suction H... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » '77 Wraith II AC Compressor Suction Hose Puzzle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, 16 July, 2015 - 01:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the parker hose with the Stratoflex reusable fittings on each end. In reassembly, I encounter this situation: the hose has female fittings on each end, and the male fitting on the compressor end is welded to the fuel cooler, so it can't turn. The male fitting on the other end is welded to the outlet pipe from the POA valve. this pipe passes through openings in the webs between the coil spring tower and the fender. Somehow I have to assemble all this. The female hose ends can't turn on the hose during assembly or it messes up things.. Best I can tell, one must assemble the POA valve outlet pipe onto one end of the hose, then screw the other end of the hose onto the fuel cooler, then somehow feed the tube through the webs adjacent to the coil spring tower. I doubt it will work this way. Humm... any experienced users out there?

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, 20 July, 2015 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update: one has to remove the fuel cooler and the suction pipe on either end of the suction hose assembly from the car, to replace the hose portion and reassemble it. The female nut on either end of the hose twists off the old hose in a clockwise direction and onto the new hose in a counterclockwise direction. Twist it all the way on, then reverse 1/4 turn.
Hold (don't crush) the female nut in a vise, then lube the tapered threaded end of the male portion with some of the compressor oil you are using. Insert and turn the male portion while holding the female nut and hose stationary.
You may leave 1/2 turn or so on the pipe end loose, so you can position it during installation of the assembly. The hose must not be installed in a twist. Also, if you get the hose too long, the bonnet hinge will hit it when you open and close the bonnet: took me three tries to get it right.
It will help get the large pipe and nut out of and back into the passages at the spring tower reinforcement bulkheads if you loosen the clamps holding the high-pressure liquid refrigerant tube so you can position it out of the way a little.
I hope this helps someone; I replaced the hose for about $10. I's Parker #12 refrigerant hose, rated for R134A.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 - 06:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

10 bucks. It doesn't get cheaper than that