Water coming into car from underneath... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Water coming into car from underneath dash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

natone98
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.12.116.136
Posted on Wednesday, 17 November, 2004 - 03:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1977 Silver Shadow II. I went to the carwash yesterday, something strange happened, as I was going through the rinse a large amount of water came into the car from underneath the dash into the driver and passengerside floor. I could hear it trickle in from the left and right side of the dash. Could this have anything to do with the fact that currently the car has no heat. I opened the bonnet and everything was dry. So I figure that the water went in through the vent grills at border of the windshield, any one have a similar problem or solution?

(Message approved by david_gore)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabriël Viljoen
Frequent User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2004 - 04:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, I had the same problem. This resulted in my carpets rotting as it happened with the previous owner as well and he did not give it attention.

The water outlets of the vent grills become blocked. This results in water coming in through the resirculatory air flaps.

The outlet pipes at the botom has a rubber tapered end that allows water from above to push it open and let the water go through, but would not let dust come into it from below.

Open the grill. Pour water in it - not to much, otherwise it will go into the cabin through the resirculatory air flaps.

Take a torch - not a electic light - and check from beneath where the outlets are located - they are quite high up (the passenger side was easier to locate). Use a wire and push it carefully inside. The pressure of the water will push all the rubbish out - it is quite a mess and it fell on my electric bulb and made it explode.

Hold a hosepipe over the outlet underneath the grill. Turn it on and fluss the drainage pipe. When you have cleaned both, turn the hosepipe on and see if it drains well and that there are no further blockages.

Look for rust as well. I cleaned these areas and sealed it with black silicone.

Contact me if I was unclear or if you have any further questions at gabriel@exceed.co.za

Regards

Gabriël Viljoen