Polishing my beast. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Polishing my beast. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, 23 June, 2015 - 09:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Polishing my beast.

Today I started on my Shadow. I decided to polish the car.

I hope you didn't think I was taking about something else.

My daughter put my fathers day present in the boot. I rolled back the cover and found a box of toiletries. As I shut the boot lid I saw a scuff mark and started polishing the car.

I spent an hour on the boot lid and surrounding area.

It looks nice.

It has motivated me, to get stuck in.

The silly part is I am polishing a car then doing the mechanical dirty work. I must say that my diy respray 11 years ago is still ok, not RR std more like Ford. The paint has the odd nick but a drop of unthinned celly and leave for a week and tcut will fix, says he optimistically

I don't care. I will just polish the car again.

After I sat down and looked at the car. Its much better than I imagined. I had visions of lots of things wrong.

The engine compartment is a bit dusty but a wipe with the oily rag (white spirit really) will sort that. The carb horns and the top of the bulk head heater boxes look shabby so mask up and hit with the old gloss black aerosol. The carbs will have to come off for polish and paint. The bonnet lock bar will have to come off mark with pencil first as in worshop manual.

A few easy to do mechanical faults such as the exhaust has finally cooked the drive shaft boot. Original boot as far as I know. The car rolls easy. The battery is 6 years old and buggered , my jeep battery is identical. Ram hoses RR363 and reservoir lid. The exhaust system needs a very small amount of welding and a light wire brushing.

Trim wise the drivers door wood needs clear coating lacquer stuff. Easy peasy job.

Once polished and the inside totally cleaned I shall start the engine.

SRH 17768 is about to be awoken from its slumber.

I will think about 5 new tyres maybe next month. £500 its only money.

Any car polish recommendations ?
I am using a stuff called Mer its ok but have used better. Leather wise I am using Mcguires leather polish/food. Wood work Johnsons furniture wax. Chrome Autosolvo.

The carpet on the underside of the boot lid, mine is falling off.
Whats the best way to fix ?

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, 24 June, 2015 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Isn't the boot lid carpeting glued on? If so, use 3M spray trim adhesive, there are two kinds, get the strong one is what I recommend.
This sounds like it could be easy if it is only partially loose, but a booger if one is installing the entire thing.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, 24 June, 2015 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob I always use autoglym products, usually trade Radian wax and the liquid hardwax. These are available from Halfords etc under different names Autoglym super resin and autoglym extra gloss protection. Rarely use T cut etc.
Mark

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, 24 June, 2015 - 05:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am afraid is loose all over.

I thought that if I fill the boot with pillows then when I shut the boot the pillows will hold the carpet in place while the glue drys. Then I will have pillows glued to the boot lid.

Autoglym products are well known in the UK and others swear by them. So I shall try their paint work polish.

Today I polished the roof.

I didn't know 3m did a trim glue with muscles.

A tip that I got from a trim shop. When glueing trim, carpet etc mark middle with dress makers chalk. Glue one side only then glue the other side. I put new carpets in my Midget and the bits for the wheel arches could be awkward but using this method it was 5 mins each side for a perfect job. The carpet set was £30 new in 1998. I wish Shudder stuff was that cheap I Shadow each time I open my cheque book.

Michael Moran
Experienced User
Username: mjcmoran

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 29 June, 2015 - 06:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Robert

Not a great deal of practical help perhaps but the Richard Treacy explanation is always of great assistance.

http://casualcars.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-rolls-royce-emerges-from-shadows.html

Swissvax is superior in every way to everything else (including Autoglym) but hellishly expensive. Not sure of the Australian availability. Here is a link to the UK site.

http://www.swissvax.co.uk

Michael

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Collinite Automotive Waxes are quite popular among those in the RROC-US and are not hellishly expensive.

The two that seem to be used the most are their 476 Super Doublecoat Paste Wax or 915 Marque D'Elegance Paste Wax. I believe that both are available via Amazon.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Prolific User

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, 30 June, 2015 - 08:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately the divets in the paint didn't touch up well. However my spray guy has suggested air brush and clear coat the whole car. He won't be drawn on car polish products. Because he doesn't use them.

It appears from a little bit of research that polishing paint work more than once a year will damage the paint.
Modern 2 pack paints
Ordinary wax polish is useless because it smears. The latest stuff wash and shine is a better way according to a vendor that is.

That Shell Grey SY looked good. Seen a few Shell Grey cars that were dull.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, 26 July, 2015 - 03:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peanut butter does clean plastic.
My Jeep has been buttered.

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, 04 August, 2015 - 03:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This post may be a little late - but, I have had spectacular success with polishing the Shadow using Eagle brand Nanowax. It is applied with a damp pad, micro fibre wipe off and then micro fibre buff. The proof of the finish is to run you hand over a section that has not been polished and then run your hand over a polished section. You will know the difference.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, 08 August, 2015 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I brought some Tesco polish for 2.5 quid for general stuff and its actually not bad. I am using to polish the engine bay inner wings etc. Which are on my car as new under the film of greasy dust and spiders webs. The tesco polish shined up my jeep quite nicely. The jeep looks 10 years younger.

Peanut butter really does work on matt black and satin finishes. I never liked peanut butter but tried some on toast and I now like it. Lots of protein. Make the car grow muscles and flaired arches.

Once my Shadow is 20 year serviced and detailed I shall buy some wax/polish which is made for black cars. My paint had a few divets which need stopper and air brush to blend. I did one small divet with a touch up stick and it looks ok. Another divet I made a cock up and it needs more work. It all cheap this work apart from time. I spend hours on just one blemish. But if one wants to have a nice car then one must put the effort in.