"New" RR363 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » "New" RR363 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, 13 November, 2004 - 09:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As hoped for I went into Castrol on Friday in Queanbeyan and there were 4 bottles of the new formulation for sale. I have ordered a case. The price incidentally is unchanged so far.

Jon Rothwell
Frequent User
Username: jon_rothwell

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, 13 November, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We just got a carton of the new stuff which had to come from the eastern states (took almost a month), so hopefully that is the last of the "dodgy" formulation.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, 14 November, 2004 - 02:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you 'brick' the camels Jon??

Jon Rothwell
Frequent User
Username: jon_rothwell

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 14 November, 2004 - 07:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That was through our local Castrol dealer.
Living in the Pilbara (supposedly a "powerhouse" of the Australian economy) we are well used to waiting 2 weeks+ for our business road freight from Sydney (or 2-4 days priority air).
Needless to say we ordered this long before our current stocks ran out, which was just as well as last week I used up all but 2 litres of my supply when working on my in-laws brakes. :-)

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2005 - 06:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found this on the Penrite Oils website:

Technical Bulletins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
49 Rolls Royce 363 Brake Fluid

Posted: Friday, July 8 2005, 12:19

TECHNICAL BULLETIN

No 49 OCTOBER 2003

ROLLS ROYCE 363 BRAKE FLUID

The question of what to use in Rolls Royce suspension and brake systems that require the old Rolls Royce 363 comes up from time to time.

The product is satisfied by good quality DOT 3 Brake Fluids and so a Super DOT 4 product like Penrite Brake Fluid is also quite suitable.

However, some vehicles do have the occasional problem with lubricity, with the result being a “knocking” in the system. On talking with a supplier of these products in the UK, they have recommended the use of about 2% of pure Castor Oil mixed in with the brake fluid as an alternative for these vehicles. Do not use castor synthetic blends such as our 10 Tenths Castor Synthetic Oil.

The percentages can vary between vehicles hence the 2% figure is a purely a guideline.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2005 - 07:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Intresting Martin.
Have they confirmed in writeing.

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, 01 November, 2005 - 06:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure what you mean Patrick, it is under technical bulletins on their website, penrite.com.au

Miguel A. Garcia
Prolific User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello to averyone here.
After one year without reading and posting the forum due some familiar problems i have came back.
Regarding the R363 matter, please, sorry me if the concernig news have been yet posted by anyone. I have done a search and did not find it, but could be posted before, sorry it it is reiterative.
I placed an order to Castrol classics, in the UK, as i was doing last years for a box of 12 castrol RR363 1 litter bottles and they have replied me that Castrol actually as not STOCK for this product and the cannot inform me about an aproximate delivery date.
I think that the so long waited bad new has arrived. Castrol RR363 could be not loger produced.
I Have tested for some weeks a blend of conventional DOT-3 brake fluid with a 20% tecnhical quality castor oil, not pharmacy quality, the "firts press" quality called, with no residual gum or any other impurity. This quality is the one usually used for aeromodelism plane engines.
The results have been succesfull by the moment. Just for your records.

Has anybody tried or tested some in this matter?

Regards form Spain

Miguel A. Garcia
Prolific User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, where I said 20% I meant 5% blended.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, 20 February, 2007 - 06:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still listed in Castrols latest product guide.
Ordered a large batch from the rep last week.
He did not mention it was discontinued!
Will let it be known when it arrives.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 649
Posted on Friday, 09 March, 2007 - 06:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well need the stuff pretty urgent so as it has not
arrived a phone call was made to the rep.

Rep will ask the question At his next sales meeting"why no more RR363"
As he has no response from Castrol.[Linton Oils]
More on this in a weeks time.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, 12 March, 2007 - 05:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Pat,

I wait in trepidation - if RR363 really has been discontinued; we may have to rely on our USA owners organising a legal "class-action" to get the formula - this is one time their legal system may be to our advantage. Imagine the court reaction to a group of owners who can no longer use their classic vehicles because of the non-availability of an essential product made by a third-party.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, 14 March, 2007 - 06:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rep has come back with answer;
363 should be delivered some time in April but do-not hold your breath.
Prehaps they are waiting for large orders to be taken before a new batch is produced.
I did have a private direct number but as yet have failed to find it.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 672
Posted on Saturday, 17 March, 2007 - 07:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David read my updated post today copy below and in full all being well!in miscellaneous.

Ref your post quote;"I wait in trepidation - if RR363 really has been discontinued; we may have to rely on our USA owners organising a legal "class-action" to get the formula - this is one time their legal system may be to our advantage. Imagine the court reaction to a group of owners who can no longer use their classic vehicles because of the non-availability of an essential product made by a third-party.

That will be fun as it comes from the USA in the first place i am told!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it was the knowledgeable Bill Vatter who may have mentioned some type of brake lubricating
fluid used, this could well be the sourse if made in the USA.

Well well,a long talk at swindon to-day.
Confirmed no supply date now given for RR 363.
It may well be dead.
Should have been December.
Well we are all wrong with the mix.
Use Dot 3 with additives, confirmed get you out of jail recipe.

Do not convert to LHM.

DOT 5 a possibilty under certain procedure.
Still more testing required.

Unnecessary comment deleted by Moderator

(Message edited by david_gore on 17 March 2007)

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, 17 March, 2007 - 07:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No problems with supply so far in Melbourne. I picked up a box of 12 yesterday. The box is Labelled Castrol Ltd. Swindon England
rr363

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, 17 March, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, great for your stocking agent,get all you can it may be the last.
Orders in UK from castrol dried up with no confirmed date of new supply.
Could go into more detail but less rather more words on this better at the mo.

Miguel G.
Just seen your amended correction 5% that will do short term.
Sorry i missed the later posting.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 728
Posted on Tuesday, 10 July, 2007 - 07:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok for the RR363 we are a wash with the new stock from the USA.
Being dispatched to all in the UK.
Do not get unecessary brake probs through running old fluid in your braking systems.

Jan Forrest
New User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 19 January, 2008 - 04:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am surprised that the Rolls Royce enthusiasts in Australia have not heard of this website
http://www.candokaraoke.com/fluid.html
It describes how a mixture of standard DOT 4 and the correct percentage of castor oil can emulate the properties of the original LHS/LHS2 fluids on which the RR363 formulation is based.
By my calculations adding 500ml of castor oil to 5 litres of DOT4 should be close enough to the 'target' of 9.25% as makes little - if any - difference.
Ps. The mention of a helpful UK "D enthusiast" in the first paragraph of "New Information" is incorrect as I've never owned one ... and he even got my name wrong

Edit.
Sorry: Just noticed the other threads on the same subject. However ... at least this guy has gone to the trouble (and expense) of having the samples tested in a laboratory. Also there are dozens (hundreds?) of Citroen enthusiasts (there's no accounting for tastes, is there?) who have been using this mix for years with no obvious negative results.

(Message edited by got_one on 19 January 2008)