1977 Silver Wraith II Thermostat Hous... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » 1977 Silver Wraith II Thermostat Housing Etc. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 434
Posted on Saturday, 13 June, 2015 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today while waiting on parts for the suction throttling valve on the 1970 Shadow, I decided to work on getting the Wraith II up to scratch. I noticed there is a coolant weep in the area of the thermostat housing; I narrowed it down to one or more of the three thermal switches and the manifold to water pump bypass. The Thermostat housing came right off, and I was glad to see a nearly new Factory thermostat. I even found the bolt I presume the installing technician dropped, as there was one of the four which was obviously newer.
Alas! When I tried to unplug the harness plugs from the three thermal switches, rather than unplug, the guts came out of each one. I have not tackled the three screws holding each of the two switches to the housing cap; at least the three on the switch mounted below the thermostat (that's the entire manifold there!)came out after careful coaxing and multiple sprays with PB Blaster.
That bypass elbow is a booger: got it loose from the water pump, again spraying and slight bumping side-to-side, it will move considerably. I am scared of it, though. The one in the '70 would not budge when I had the manifold off for the pumps, so I left it alone. It had no sign of leaking. I know there is a possibility that, if I can get it apart, it might not seal due to corrosion damage, or whatever. Here's hoping for the best. I am soaking it in PB Blaster.
I got the Lady and the grille off; easy. I'm flushing the ac condenser, changing O-rings; and replacing the short hoses on the power-assisted steering cooler which have obviously been weeping oil. Cleaned it all up, etc.
Fun Fun but it's gotten dang hot here in Louisiana all of a sudden.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2015 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got the bypass out today. it's in better shape than I suspected, but I can't get the pipe out of the elbow. Hummm.... It makes me tense.