Barrys Rotor replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Barrys Rotor replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 - 08:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My friend Barry is coming over tomorrow to have new rotors fitted to the front not looking forward to that I am sure the bolts will be well rusted on any tips if you have done this job all help appreciated.

Richard.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 - 09:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be thankful it's not the rear rotors.

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Use the road wheel to hold the hub.

Or

Drill holes in bench.

Use windy gun and the correct sockets etc for windy guns, the black ones.

Wire brush hub to disc "interface".

Use white spirit to clean new disc.

Use copper slip on bolts.

Adhere stricky to torque settings.

Leave a small amount of play in the wheel bearings.

Watch out for the copper bit in the bearing grease cap. The split pin must not cover the end og the stub axle.

Use castrol LM or equivalent grease.

Straight forward 2 hours work.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi thanks for that I forgot I had a windy gun feel better about it already, Will let you know what the outcome is.

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Windy gun?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've never heard that term either. I'm assuming impact wrench, since Bob specifies the black sockets. Maybe Richard or Bob could enlighten us.

Quite interesting that we all know what rotors are, given the different nationalities.

Geoff

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2015 - 04:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Windy gun = compressed air impact wrench

One of the most useful workshop tools especially when undoing fasteners that have been untouched for many years. Must be used with impact sockets which have a different profile and material specification to standard manual sockets as explained in the following links:

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-en/solutions/garage-solutions/maximum-impact-enewsletter/tool-tips/tool-tip-the-importance-of-using-impact-sockets-with-impact-wrenches

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/category/impactsockets

A soak with good penetrating oil is good practice before attempting to undo "frozen" bolts/studs. If working in a cold climate, warming the workpiece to a temperature around "too hot to touch" [50 to 60 deg Celsius] helps minimise the possibility of brittle fracture. A rough and ready test is to splash some water onto the workpiece; if it spreads over the surface and steams off without sizzling, this is a suitable temperature. If it sizzles and water beads "dance" on the surface then it is too hot and should be allowed to cool to a more suitable temperature.

An effective "home brew" penetrating oil much used by old machinery restorers to facilitate dismantling of machinery left exposed to the elements for many years is detailed below:

"Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker. Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison test.

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ......... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....... 53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50- 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.*

*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price."

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Now on to "the real question": Is it pronounced windy as in, "It's an ill wind that blows no good," or windy as in, "Could you wind the clock?" Either could make sense.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 04:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is pronounced as in ill wind.

I was surprised that Stateside doesn't use the term windy gun.

Anyway Brian will now be able to use the term stateside and no doubt in 10 years time even the Mexicans will be using it.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 07:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

It is pronounced as in ill wind.

Thank you. I would have suspected the other, based on what it does/undoes, but being that it's pneumatic this also makes perfect sense.

quote:

I was surprised that Stateside doesn't use the term windy gun.

Nope. I've never heard anyone call them anything other than an impact wrench or air wrench.

quote:

Anyway Brian will now be able to use the term stateside and no doubt in 10 years time even the Mexicans will be using it.

If I had this kind of power I'd be using it for personal gain. Alas . . .

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 08:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We do not use "windy gun" in Australia; impact wrenches are commonly referred to as "rattle guns" or "rattlers" for obvious reasons.

If my rattle guns [I have 3 different types] could talk, they would have some interesting stories to tell. The best aspect of compressed air versions compared to the more recent electric drive units is you can vary the tightening/undoing torque for each setting by altering the air pressure to the wrench. I have often used my big gun at 150psig [1020kpa/10.2bar] when undoing engine crank pulley retaining bolts due to the torque needed to break them loose.

I prefer compressed air tools for workshop use as they do not burn out like mains voltage electric tools if overloaded; they just slow down and stop usually with a hissing noise as if to say "stuff you for abusing me".

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I'm in the UK and I've never heard the term before either. But I guessed what it meant. 'Wind' as in 'air'.

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2015 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also if oil is put in connector before tge is connected the gun will give more torque. At work we had an 1 inch drive windy gun. We used hang it off a crane and then one person each side to hold it and one to work the gun. 1500 ftlbs plus. Used for fitting a telemetry sensor case to an oil rig drill pipe. The thing had to be that tight because of the torque of the drill head. My job was to turn and screw cut the case which took 30 hours. Then an electronic circuit is fitted then the assembly is screwed into a drill pipe.
I used get nervous because I was worried that something would break and the device costs 1000s to make.
No wonder looking for oil is so expensive.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2015 - 07:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update waiting for new callipers the original ones would have needed reconditioned so decided to buy reconditioned ones from flying spares. Today I fitted new gaskets to the B bank exhaust manifold and tomorrow I will do the A bank.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 06:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While waiting. How are the brake weather shields. Paint.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, 12 June, 2015 - 08:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Callipers came at tea time I fitted them and the new pads bled the brakes and a new air filter. After the weekend I will fit the A bank exhaust gaskets.

Richard.