1970 Shadow Refrigeration Rehab: So Far Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » 1970 Shadow Refrigeration Rehab: So Far « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, 03 June, 2015 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Over the winter I replaced Her compressor, drier, and flushed thoroughly.Monday evening with my new Chinese vacuum pump I vacuumed several times, watched for leaks, and then installed approx 2, 12 ounce cans of R134A. At idle I get just over 30 psig suction and about 60F at the vents. The temp knob is on 4 and the blower at or near high.
The Factory service bulletin calls for 34 ounces R134A in the refit, so I need to add approx 1 more can. I'm not sure how to get the system to take more: obviously the can pressure has to be higher than the suction pressure. Warm the can a little?
There is no high-side port, which makes me a little nervous.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Experienced User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, 04 June, 2015 - 07:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I normally recommend that the aircon shop should recharge. They have better equipment.

But since you have got this far. 3x12 equals 36 ounces you will need to leave a bit in the last can. So weigh the can first.

Start engine turn aircon to max and the compressor will suck the 134a in.

Is the oil in the 134a?

No high pressure port means you cannot connect to the wrong port. Also 34 ounces. 36 ounces is not that much over.

My system has a hp port on the drier.