Rear drive shafts. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear drive shafts. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Reddington
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 92.40.248.62
Posted on Sunday, 31 May, 2015 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The drive shaft pots should simply just pull out. But some are refusing to behave.

Unfortunately the diff inside is closed off so levering off the cardingan or cross shaft is not possible.

So use a 2 legged puller with a heavy chain attached. Jerk the chain like a slide hammer. Maybe with help from a lever as well.

I have not tried this on a Shadow but it works on other stuff.

When levering use two levers at 180 deg angle. Opposite. Try to lever off a bolt head which is steel not aluminium like the case.
80/90 for diff and drive shaft pots. Grease chassis for the Hardy Spicer UJs
if no nipple them take them apart and grease manually. Castrol LM ideal.

The final drive is not differcult to remove from car if you get a really tight one. Once on the bench better access. Strap the final drive to the bench with a ratchet strap. Or chain and turn buckles.

I hoped to find a better way but I can't think of one.

I generally find that suddenly the thing releases a small amount then falls out. Like CV joints on fwd cars.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Noel Reddington
Experienced User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, 01 June, 2015 - 08:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Using heat has been mentioned. I dont think the pot is seized in the splines. The snap ring is the problem. So heat is no use.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, 01 June, 2015 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Bob - I will try the puller and chain idea first.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Experienced User
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, 02 June, 2015 - 04:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The splines will be oily because the seal is just under the pot bit.