Camargue Grill Removal and Notes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Camargue Grill Removal and Notes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, 28 April, 2015 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps I have reached the age where paranoia starts to kick in for today I took Brian's advice to remove the grill and make notes of the dimensions etc for the sad say when one of the local kangaroos and or another car mangles the grill. I really didn't want to remove the grill because I felt as if I had torn the soul out of the car but I am happy I did it.

Now I have no idea as to whether or not a Shadow 1 or 2 has the same fittings but the Camargue grill is secured at the bottom by two pins which are part of the inside of each front mudguard(fender) together with two rubber grommets. Mine have perished and need replacing and look like they may just be the same and the grommets that locate the rear of the bonnet(hood)pins.

Those of you Shadow owners may like to check if your grills are resting on grommets and if they are what state of health they are in. I could see the grill cracking at some stage if it is not secured properly and it would be a small cost to replace those grommets compared to replacing and or repairing a cracked grill.

I have stored my grill inside under lock and key and guarded by the Mad Scot with severe instructions on it to all not to look at it, touch it or place anything upon it. The price to replace the whole lot including the mascot would not see much change out of $10,000 AUD so you can just imagine what hideous state of mind I will be in one day in the future when I am driving in traffic or in any city.

Those of you who have nothing better to do at the moment might like to throw themselves into a state of complete depression by viewing the Flying Spares site and clicking on cars to be dismantled. It's just nasty looking at such fine cars as RR/B and seeing the carnage.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 - 06:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are indeed the same as bonnet stop rubbers.

Remember that the cars didn't arrive at FS, My, or any other recycler's in pristine condition . . .the previous owners are the ones to blame for neglecting them for whatever reason.

It's upsetting taking these cars apart but the thought they they will allow another live is a balm of sorts.

Complete depression comes when you go to look at a RR or B that has been left to deteriorate to such a level that there is nothing salvageable from the poor thing :-( RIP!