Earliest SY Chassis Number put out "i... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Earliest SY Chassis Number put out "into the world" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Wednesday, 04 March, 2015 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Someone on rollsroyceforums.com is asking what this would be and says he has a 1966 Silver Shadow with chassis number 23 (which I'd presume is SRH0023). No reference that I'm familiar with notes what the earliest chassis numbers were that were production vehicles.

Also, if I recall correctly all of the SY cars had chassis numbers pulled from the same pool, so theoretically car 1001 could have been a Shadow while 1002 could have been a T. Eventually this would be extended to the Corniche once it came into existence. Is this correct?

It also seems to me that I recall seeing pictures of cars that were not "unauthorized conversions" that appeared to have started out life at Crewe intended to be a Rolls-Royce, but ended up as a Bentley, and vice versa. I'm not talking about Bentley Ts with Rolls-Royce valve covers, which seem to be relatively common, but cars that have, for example, RR on the speedometer face but have complete Bentley bodies/badging from the factory. Am I hallucinating this or do these cars really exist? I'm virtually certain I've seen examples in photographs, but can't determine where those photographs or articles are located.

Brian

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, 04 March, 2015 - 09:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SY cars were first produced in 1965 and have chassis numbers starting at 1001
http://www.rrsilvershadow.com/EMod/Chnr1.htm shows the complete numbering system
(Courtesy of Marinus Rijkers)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2015 - 01:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

Thanks very much. I knew and understood the general "coding system" for the first three characters of the chassis numbers but never knew for certain that 1001 was the very first.

I should always remember to check Marinus Rijker's Silver Shadow website when I'm looking for reference material like this. I've sent many a person there for other things, but never chassis numbering information.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2015 - 05:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To be more exact the month was Oct 65 RR SRH 1001.

Bentley T Oct 65 SBH 1001.

2dr James young saloons came in with both RR CRH 1067 and Bentley models at no CBH 1067.

Bob UK.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.120.255
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2015 - 07:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The bonnets are different to suit the grill.

Some people changed makes over but the documents can't be changed.

I think it's a pointless.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2015 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I just want to make sure there is not a typo in your post. So there were 1001 & 1067 chassis numbers for both a RR and a Bentley?

If that's the case I gather there wasn't an SY chassis number pool but a model specific chassis number pool, at least at one point in time.

Brian

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2015 - 02:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think Patrick is in error.
See http://www.rrsilvershadow.com/EProd/Prod1001.htm
(Another piece of research from Marinus)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, 06 March, 2015 - 05:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, Glass's give the Bentley "T" saloon as introduced October 1965 chassis number SBH 1001.

Shadow like wise with chassis number SRH 1001.
Could this be the prototype and then scrapped!.

CBH 1148 : 2dr H.J.Mulliner Bentley introduced March 1966.

Like wise 2dr RR Mulliner but CRH 1148.

Many Glass's books with manufactures dating features, chassis no, series letters from Oct 1931-1978.

Very handy for checking the cars originality.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, 06 March, 2015 - 08:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is not unknown for books to make an error.
My car is SRH1405 and the engine is stamped 1405.
If there was a SBH1405 it would obviously have a different engine number and this is most unlikely.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.120.211
Posted on Friday, 06 March, 2015 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On my car SRH17768. The 1 on the chassis number on the turret brace is stamped upside down. The previous owner showed it to me, I am not bothered because it's an original factory mistake that got though.

I think that maybe the chassis numbers are awarded to body shells before the brand is fixed. ( only a bonnet). This means that say 1234 could have been SRH1234 or SBH1234. But not both. The next shell would be 1235 with brand to be chosen later.
The bodies were made by pressed steel, inbatches. There's a photo of a line of shells at pressed steel with bonnets fitted, the brand has been assigned at this stage. Book is volume 3 of the Robson books.
RR had orders in a steady stream of 3000 a year. Which is not cost effective to pressed steel. So pressed steel would say make 1500 store until required fit a bonnet then deliver to Crewe. This is because of the cost and down time to change tooling. The presses will do a panel a minute with ease. So doing only 6 wings when it took all day to set the press is daft. 1500 wings 300O for pairs is much cheaper. Once pressed steel makes 1500 shells they then tool up the same presses to make say Rover P 5 or Austin Westminsters. If the presses aren't running then pressed steel loses money.

I have seen these presses working and it's amazing how quick panels are made. Then they fit the panels onto jigs and quite fast a whole shell is erected. Then they panel beat any imperfections and joints are lead loaded.
Then Crewe start assembly.

Austin Westminster shells were good quality and a handful were made into baby Bentleys by RR. But the FB60 engine simply didn't have the power. 120 bhp when 180 was needed. The rationale was a smaller Bentley to complete with sports saloons.

The end result was the princess 4 litre R which isn't a bad car. I have driven one and it's not up to RR standards in the ride but by no means bad. The acceleration was ok but just not fast enough to be a baby Bentley. Also with A Healy 3000 engine set the Westminster was faster. The Police ordered cars direct from Austin in tuned form.

RR has been criticized at its lack of variety of car engines In the 50s. The American makers were in the same boat with only sixes that were not powerful enough for the post war buyers. Hence the V8s of various makers.
. Which seem to have designed by all the V8 makers together with RR going aluminum and liner early on. Shame RR didn't think V12.

A JAG 6litre V12 would work well instead of GM engine should one have a trashed original and not the cash. As lovable as the GM engine is it can be not so smooth when giving them welly.

Ramble yak drone bore zzzzzz.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 766
Posted on Saturday, 07 March, 2015 - 07:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back in the early 70's I worked as an ambulance man for the Sheffield service and we still had 2 or 3 Austin Princess 4 Litre R vans converted into ambulance form. They weren't as flexible as some of the other makes as there was no doorway between the cab and the passenger compartment. However the ride was second to none. One of our number would show it off by putting his thermos flask on the flat floor between the seats and keeping up with traffic all day without it falling over.

When they were finally taken out of service in the mid to late 70's they were sold at a nearby auction for around the £200 mark. As much as I wanted one to convert into a motor home I just didn't have that kind of cash on hand.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 649
Posted on Sunday, 08 March, 2015 - 04:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I spent a very enjoyable day as a teenager when my friend managed to borrow his father's 4 Litre R. It was a new car and drove superbly. It was practically silent. I've ever since had a liking for these cars.

Geoff

Ben crombie
Experienced User
Username: crombo97

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2015 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The first 11 cars were produced as promotional vehicles in different countries all over the world. SRH1011 (10th in production but 6th RR made) was sent to Australia. See below info provided to me by a RROCA member.

With aknowledgment to Praeclarum pg 1128 and the late Bert Ward for the following info.
"It was February 21st 1966 that the first Silver Shadow arrived in Australia...SRH1011 was consigned to the late Jack Vidler, who was the Rolls-Royce representative for Australia and had his office in Melbourne. The shadow was unpacked by Messrs. Kellow Falkiner Pty.Ltd. who also prepared the car for the road. It was then placed on their showroom floor and used for demonstrations". Bert Ward flew down from Sydney to drive the car back to Sydney with Jack Vidler and Patrick Kane-White. The car was driven to the Rolls-Royce service station in Zetland Sydney where it was checked and cleaned. The car was then placed on the showroom floor at York Motors Pty.Ltd. in William street Sydney. "When York Motors had finished with the car in the showroom, and demonstrations finished, the Silver Shadow was passed on to the general manager of Rolls-Royce Australia, Mr Ken Wright, for his use. The car was then registered in Sydney. The number plate fitted was EMS-814. The car remained available to be used for demonstrations when required."

The original Melbourne registration was JLD760 and its original color was metallic shell grey.

Ben crombie
Experienced User
Username: crombo97

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, 17 August, 2015 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ive attached some photos taken in 66 at the unveiling of my shadow SRH1011 when it was brand new.
It looks alot different now

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 - 02:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben,

Thanks for the photos. Based on your sharing elsewhere I'd say, "It looks a lot different now," is an understatement. Chacun à son goût.

Brian