SS II handling - sway bar linkages Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SS II handling - sway bar linkages « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul J C White
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.193.209.185
Posted on Tuesday, 03 March, 2015 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys, my first post on this great forum after lurking for some time. I am based 40km north of Melbourne, Aus and have a 1979 SS II SRH39187 that I would like to improve the handling on (the usual issues including body roll).
I have read quite a few post on the handling kits available including a thicker sway bar on the front (32mm or 34mm) and solid linkages.

I had a look at my car's current setup and was surprised to find out that it already has a 32mm swaybar but with what I think are the original linkages.

I suspect the linkages are shot and need replacing (there are probably other front suspension parts that are also in need of replacement too). The linkages would probably be a first step and then see what the difference is (if any) and then move on to other suspects.

Any advice ?

Thanks
Paul

Pic below of the current sway bar and linkage below (I hope).

http://imageshack.com/i/p7u5PZYsj

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.120.203
Posted on Wednesday, 04 March, 2015 - 08:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Using a crow bar give the linkages a good tug. Any slack and replace. This type of link last well because the rubber is enclosed mostly so it can't deform much. Also check any other roll bar mounts and suspension bushes with crowbar. Also garden spade under wheel to check for play.

Try 32 psi in the tyres.
Tyre pressures are not set in stone. The tyres will easily take 40 so don't be worried about 5 or 6 psi.

Check out Harvey Bailey stuff. Flying spares may have a used kit.

When parked with no hydraulic. Pressure the car should be level with the sill trim in line with the wheel centres. If it low at the back it means the rear springs are passed their best.
They can be ignored for now because the ride will level the car. Or re shimmed. Or if you desire the car to handle really well changed for colonial springs.
or try towing assistantors, rubber blocks between the coils. Cheap.

Ride height must be correct for proper handling.

I am not sure weather road springs always lower rate as they age. Rust does lower spring rate.

Try cheap stuff first because my Shadow 1 is reasonable with rubber blocks the trye pressures.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 04 March, 2015 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To add to Bobs sound advice I would check out the front shock absorbers and don't let any mechanic drill out the castings on top of the springs to release the pressure if the shockies have to be replaced. Believe it or not one idiotic luxury car dealer in Sydney tried to get me to do just that, I refused and went to the hardware next door and bought some long threaded rod which did the trick.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.120.255
Posted on Thursday, 05 March, 2015 - 06:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mon Dieu what total shower of butchers. Threaded rods is easier than chain drilling the centre out then chesiling the mounting. The front suspension is not difficult to work on.

Paul J C White
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 165.228.63.183
Posted on Wednesday, 04 March, 2015 - 05:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bob, plenty for me to look at there.

Cheers
Paul