Early Shadow fan coupling alternatives? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Early Shadow fan coupling alternatives? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 1.125.48.92
Posted on Wednesday, 11 February, 2015 - 08:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Gentlemen,

As per the subject, is there a known substitute for the small coupling as used in early shadows?

Regards
James

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Wednesday, 11 February, 2015 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are you able to give the chassis number you're inquiring about. Is it pre-viscous-fan-clutch?

Which item on these two illustrations are you asking about?:

early Shadow fan

Brian

James
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 1.125.48.184
Posted on Wednesday, 11 February, 2015 - 04:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Brian,

I'm talking about item 40 - the chassis number is approximately 3400, as I recall.

Regards

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Thursday, 12 February, 2015 - 09:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

You're talking about a chassis number earlier than any I've dealt with, so I don't know exactly what space you're dealing with. Download the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation and search for "Substitute Fan Clutch."

Although the two entries are for chassis numbers higher than yours, if you look at the thread related to the Shadow II, and look at how someone other than myself solved the problem of the unusual fan mounting hole arrangement by having an adapter ring machined, you might find you can use the Hayden 2747 employing a similar solution. It's certainly less expensive, and less frustrating in the long run, if you have an adapter made that allows you to fit more commonly available viscous fan clutches.

I found the combination of the Derale fan blades and Hayden fan clutch I ended up using on my Silver Wraith II via trial and error. You might be the person who finds the same as far as a fan clutch for the early SY series cars.

Brian