Engine stop Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Engine stop « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Serge PONTES
Frequent User
Username: serrgio

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 25 October, 2004 - 05:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everybody,
I have (again) a problem on my shadow 1 SRH22789 from 1975 wich I've bought last year, and don't know what I have to thing...
this time, engine stop running when I want to accelerate. It happens twice yesterday, first time when I was coming on the motorway, driving 60km and wanted to accelerate: the engine doesn't want and after some secondes, stopped. second time was in town, drinving 30km and, as the first time, when I would accelerate, engine doesn't respond and stopped.
after one or two minutes, it runs again.
on the road, at the first time I had theproblem, I've checked my gearbox oil level, because last year, I had a similar problem, not driving fast but when I was driving very slowly in town and wanted to stop the car (at a red light for exemple): engine stopped and in the same time, the hand ampere indicator goes at the maximum. When I told it at my mechanics, he sayed immediatly that I should have a low gearbox oil level and I have to check it immediatly. In fact, it was this, and by chance, gearbox seams not to suffer (it was last year and I've drived quiet 1000miles since).
by the way, yesterday it wasn't oil level and the hand ampere indicator doesn't move as last year; just stay on the "0" as normal.
so, even if conditions are different, could it be a gearbox problem (for exemple, when it come at the 3d spead and after, can't retrograde), and a valve wich need to be overhaul ? should I before change myself the oil and filter ?
Or could it be a fuel or carburator problem ? on the road, all seams to be good on the ignition and the carburators linkage. I have checked the oil level on the damper piston, and can ear the oil when I take off damper piston, but can't see it. the handbook says that oil must be 12,7mm under the top of the piston road: does it mean that I should see oil when I look into the damper piston's housing ? could this be the origine off the problem ?
yesterday, I've filled all my fuel tank (78l) with additive after 6 month driving without additive in the 98 unleaded fuel. Could it be the cause ? Should I have a look to the fuel filter, in case off dust from the botoom of the tank, mixed after this full tank ?
thanks for any suggestion....

serge

Jon Rothwell
Frequent User
Username: jon_rothwell

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 25 October, 2004 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,
have a look at the fuel filters built into the carbys. I found with my 75 Shadow that I was suddenly losing power after hard throttle use, the engine would just misfire and then stall, putting my foot down further would just make the stall happen sooner. After stalling the engine would seem to recover, till the next time I put my foot down, then it would cough and stall. I was limited to crawling home at 50KMH in the end. The filters are in the fuel inlet of the carby and cost about $5 Australian. A cheap fix for a perplexing problem.
As a matter of interest older Australian V8 Fords fitted with a certain type of carby and filter suffer an identical problem.

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, 26 October, 2004 - 05:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Serge;

I would agree with Jon check the fuel filters first. If they haven’t been change recently change them. If they are not bad (or fix the problem) then I would have the fuel pump checked. I have had other types of vehicles with electric pumps with the type of behavior you describe, they turned out to be a pump starting to go bad.

On the gearbox it sounds like the engine is stalling not just the forward motion of the car being lost. If it were a problem with fluid level in the trans the engine would still rev higher but the car would not move. It does not sound like this is happening to you.

Best of luck,
Bill

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, 26 October, 2004 - 09:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Serge I would put my money on petrol supply. There are three sets of filters to clean. The ones in the carburetters the two in the fuel pump itself and the cannister filter in the main fuel line. While you have the pump off to clean those filters check the points. If they are badly burnt toss the pump out and get a new pointless pump. Otherwise loosen the bodies of the pumps from the central chamber,separate the diaphragms from the pump and restretch them.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, 26 October, 2004 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi SeRRgio,

Good advice from everyone however I would also check the condition of all flexible hoses on the fuel line as well especially if you can smell petrol when the car has been stored overnight in a closed garage with no ventilation - it is possible for the hoses to crack and weep petrol when stationary and depending on location either affect pump suction or discharge pressure when the engine is running.

As mentioned by the other contributors, my money is on the filters causing your problem especially as you have used a fuel additive - after much experience with my diesel vehicle; I only add fuel conditioner one or two tankfuls before the fuel filter is due to be changed as the conditioner coagulates the accumulated muck in the tank so that the filter will remove it - doing this with a new or partially used filter invariable results in a loss of fuel pressure requiring a filter change. If you haven't done so, remove the carburettor pistons when you do the filter and remove all the varnish deposits that are present.

Serge PONTES
Frequent User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, 26 October, 2004 - 06:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone of you,
thanks for all this advoices. I'm happy to read that nobody does think I have a problem with the gearbox...fuel filters are so easy (and cheap) to change !!
by the way, I have no answer about the oil level into the carbys...seams actualy to be good ? don't have to see the oil in the little damper piston chamber when you take it off ?
thanks again...

Serge PONTES
Frequent User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, 26 October, 2004 - 06:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P.S. thanks to David about the petrol smell, because in fact, I do smell in the trunck when I've fill the tank. I've already check hoses and seen that just the "return hose" (I don't know the word, may the "breather pipe" ?- that's the hoses around the filler cap, into the wings) is cracked at the extremity where it come back on the filler cap. when I have to much petrol, may it can smell on this may. Others hoses seams to be good; I'll check again more carrefuly.
thanks again for advoice.
serge