Access to plenum chamber Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Access to plenum chamber « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Lacey
Experienced User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All,

Am I correct in thinking I can access the plenum chamber used for the blower fans to draw air by removing the fans? (is there any other access) Are there drains in the outer corners of that plenum? Where to they drain to??

SRH4452 has developed a damp drivers carpet in very heavy rain...

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, I think I recall there is a round passage through which the fans draw air, once the fan motor assembly are removed. There is a drain on either side; somewhere down in there you will (should) find two rubber hoses of good diameter: these are the drains. They attach to the firewall with a Jubilee clip then turn down toward the ground. Again: as I recall. I changed the heater core inSRH 9391 several years ago so I was "in there" pretty deep.
Some Shadows have been known to develop leaks around the windshield seal and thereby wet the floors. This is another possibility if you don't find the drains clogged.

David Lacey
Experienced User
Username: dlacey

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 03:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info...maybe these hoses have blocked or something overflowed...when it rains here it really rains...I will explore at the weekend

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 07:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Another source of unwanted water in the passenger compartment is a blocked drain/drain hose from the air conditioning evaporator matrix under the dash. This can be easily checked by looking for a puddle of water on the ground directly under the bulkhead after the car has been driven for a suitable period of time and then parked sufficiently long for the condensate to drain from the matrix.

In your climate, I would expect the amount of condensate to be substantial and it could overflow into the foot well. I have forgotten whether the evaporator is on the left or right side of the drive shaft hump.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Friday, 23 January, 2015 - 09:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the WS manual in the cooling chapter are pictures of heater and evaporator. The drain for the evaporator is shown.

(Message approved by david_gore)