Emily Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Emily « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 744
Posted on Saturday, 10 January, 2015 - 05:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is it a practical proposition to replace her on a Shadow 1 with an automatically retracting version? I've had 2 vanish and don't want to see another walk away. The only other practical alternative I see is to make her completely and simply removable by some other method. I've yet to work that one out.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Saturday, 10 January, 2015 - 06:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,

There is some information in the following thread - you can find more possible threads using the SEARCH function in the top right hand corner of any forum page. Use "Flying Lady" for the search, select "and" for the key word options, "whole words only" for the match method, "case insensitive" for match case and "text of messages" for the look in option.

Ooops - forgot to include the link:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17004/628.html

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 10 January, 2015 - 08:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An option is to fit a blank. A simple turning job. Put a screw thread in the top to pull it out. Use stainless. This part is available for where cars aren't allow mascots.

Also there is a kit available that has a microswitch connected to the horn. The horn sounds for 30 secs or so. The a picture somewhere, it's very simple and it the sort of thing that could easily be made diy, the rad shell needs to come off, then it's easy to do on the bench. Use a switch that can't fill up with water. My one is a Honeywell with a rubber bellows.

The retractable mascot is not theft proof. They will crowbar it out. The idea is to protect the smelly plebs when you run them down. Somehow I don't think it actually works, because the mascot doesn't move fast enough.

I wonder if the mascot mounting could be modified so it pulls out easy. I thinking of a ball on a spring in the side like sockets have. Then just snatch it out when parking in thieving pleb areas. A little black cotton bag with draw string to keep it in. Or colour to match carpets so it blends in when thrown casually on the floor.

Or fit an action man doll with swivel eyes that light up in the dark.

Fortunately because I live in an affluent place expensive cars are the norm and my car doesn't particularly stand out.
But I do wonder and always lock my car in the workshop overnight, behind two other gates, my dog Giggles listens for gate noises. He a cross between a Jack Russel and a Shitsue. He's known as a Russue. Or as I prefer Jack Shi#t. Plus pir lights.

I had a black merc keyed in my drive on night, which cost lots to put right. Plus Beasty Boys stole my V8 Badges of the Range Rover and crowbared the petrol cap off. The police nicked this local yob for a load of local car vandalism. It stopped then. When the police nicked him he was wearing a vw badge round his neck and had a load of bits he had broken off cars in his bedroom.

No doubt you will find its the same thieving yobs that are nicking bits the other time.

Such rotten bad luck, I have never understood why scumbags can't just leave cars alone, there's not really any money in it. The value of a Shadow lady isn't that high and they aren't safely sellable, the scumbags would likely get caught out.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 746
Posted on Saturday, 10 January, 2015 - 09:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's currently a home made blank in her mounting space and I've removed the mount tube for simplicity.

The only fixed security system I could trust around here would be a 60Kvolt automatic tazer! Wiring her into the horn wouldn't help as the scroat could jemmy her off and vanish into the night long before I could respond to the alarm.

TTBOMK the retractible mascot locks into place at both ends of its travel and the cover, when retracted, presents insufficient gap (it's measured with feeler gauges for accuracy) to permit the entry of any decent strength lever.

Certainly on my Shadow, Emily is spring mounted to give way in case a pedestrian is thrown up onto the bonnet, but given that Corinthian grill I doubt that's a likelihood!

For a while I had a quite tasteful (for an American mascot) alternative in place. It was the figure of a naked nymph with arms and blue perspex wings illuminated by an internal bulb spliced into the sidelights. The lighting was very subtle and suited the paintwork. That too was ripped off.

With so many druggies having been dumped on my neighbourhood it's a struggle to keep anything nice without something happening to it. £200+ in alloys taken for a scrap value of maybe £20 is just another fix to these scum. Someone even opened up the Porta-Potti access door on my motor home. Probably to see if it was the gas cupboard in order to steal the gas bottles. About 18 months ago I had 2 cars keyed on opposite sides on the same night. As they were parked nose-to-nose it must have been the same jealous bastard. Then one of them was stolen after I invested over a grand on the dirty bits and collected another grand's worth of items for my motor home and workshop which were still inside it.

I've got a spring loaded design in mind, but it might mean replacing the current mount with a more fitting one, but at least my new mascot came supplied with that, if not any means of spring loading it.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, 11 January, 2015 - 01:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ever thought of moving?

I too would be interested in a solution to this. I've never had any problems with theft or vandalism, but the possibility always exists. Also the possibility of damage to the grille has to be considered as well. That is more costly to fix than replacing the mascot.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, 11 January, 2015 - 02:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish I could afford to move, but I've invested too much time, effort and money into my current home to make that practical.

Once I've figured out a cure for the problem I'll take pics and give a blow-by-blow account of it.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Sunday, 11 January, 2015 - 07:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

MAGNETS.!!

Fit on to the end on the tube bit and the other at the bottom of the hole.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 02:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan

What about security cameras. At least the police will have something to work with if any of your cars is vandalised again.

Geoff

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 06:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have lived in my house for 31 years and an area near has had its problems but it's changed into a peaceful place due to the residants getting older, these people won't allow trouble because they remember the bad days.

So Jan your not stuck with it, places do change.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 754
Posted on Monday, 12 January, 2015 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've considered using CCTV security cameras, Geoff, but she's parked in a place that cannot be readily covered. There are trees in the way, so any camera would have to mounted on one of them, which would only be practical in Winter when the leaves have dropped.

Bob: Unfortunately my estate is controlled by the local council and they have deemed it to be a 'mixed' area: Some private homes, some OAPs and some 'problem' tenants. The odds of this changing within my limited lifespan are slim to none!

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.90
Posted on Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,
My council is now Bournemouth I got changed. Bmth Borough Council won't accept misbehaviour and kick people out fast. I guy thought he was immune because he owned his house. He made such a mess the council took him to criminal court then having got a conviction, took him to civil court and the bloke couldn't afford to pay the judgement so the council took his house off him and demolished it. That warned the locals that the council does have teeth and push your luck and you get bitten.

From my police experience it's only a small number of scumbags causing trouble. The rest of the residents are ok guys.

Why not fit the CTV to the car.
Blue tooth it. Or fit the recorder in the car.

On of my devious ideas was an old pickup truck with a amber light bar. The light bar was full of cameras. The police parked outside a criminals house for a few hours and bingo your nicked sonny..