Heater Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Heater « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Grand Master
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, 17 December, 2014 - 03:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

My heater does not get much more than room temperature. The fan blows at varying volumes, depending on the control, but the temperature is invariant. Is the an electrical component that is misbehaving, like a damper not responding, or is this a mechanical problem? Can anybody give me any hints how to diagnose and debug this?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, 17 December, 2014 - 09:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

My first suspicion would be that the heater tap is not opening as it should. This is not an uncommon problem. The thing is pushed/pulled with a cable and two things can and do happen:

1. The screw that holds the cable to the tap or the actuator inside the car can come loose allowing the cable to slide.

2. The cable can fray and become, essentially, a string. We all know you can't push something with a string.

However, I also know the heater tap in the SY1 cars is different than that in the SY2 cars and I seem to recall there being a rubber part in the older version and that its location is different as well. I can't seem to locate any documentation (beyond the Workshop Manual) on the SY1 heater tap other than my copy of Jon Waples', The Shadow Owners' Companion, which shows and SY1 heater tap. It's definitely different than the one in the SY2s. It's still attached to the rear leg of the brake fluid reservoir.

You could also have an issue with any one of a number of mixing flaps.

I'd look at the the heater tap and what's going on as you turn the temperature controls first. Setting the system on DEF and to full hot should open the heater tap fully regardless of outdoor temperature. If you're not getting a lot of heat then, but are getting tons of air to the windshield vents, I'd definitely suspect the tap.

Brian

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Wednesday, 17 December, 2014 - 06:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The heater is dependent on engine coolant temperature. If the thermostat is removed or malfunctioning then the heater will not work properly.

The system fitted to the shadow has a Water tap under the dot tank.

This tap is EITHER ON OR OFF because the temperature is controlled by the temp control flap not the Water tap.

Before doing anything else, disconnect the two hoses going to the heater and flush the heater. Connect garden hose and run for an hour.

Also check that water can freely flow through the water tap when it is on.

Sludge in heater matrices is common on old cars.

From cold My heater works within 2 miles and after 5 miles too hot.

The workshop manual covers both the heater and the gearbox cutout.

(Message approved by david_gore)