Brake Calliper grabbing before others Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Brake Calliper grabbing before others « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabriël Viljoen
Frequent User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2004 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good day

When I brake, my 1971 Silver Shadow pulls to the left (Right hand drive). I found a lot of rubber particles in the brake fluid. On cleaning the system I replaced most of the pipes as well as the seals and rubbers. I also sanded down the inside of the brake callipers with fine sandpaper to that the pistons can more freely.

The right hand side callipers do not release after the brake has been used. I bleed them and the one (front one) has no pressure on it - this does not make sense, as I cannot see how it can grab if there's not pressure (i fitted new brake pads, and I can see that they are worn much more than the ones on the front left hand side of the car).

On bleeding the callipers of the left hand side, the presure seems to be ok, but it does not squirt like the rear ones.

What could the problem be?

Kind regards

Gabriël Viljoen

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2004 - 08:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Gabe I would put my money on rotten brake hoses. The internal lining of the hose rots, comes loose and can act as a one way valve. Similarly they can block very easily. This would also explain the bits of rubber in the system. All hoses on your Shadow should be changed every 8 years in the interests of safety. I hope you used extremely fine paper when you cleaned out the cylinders as any roughness will chop out the rubbers.

Gabriël Viljoen
Frequent User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 04 November, 2004 - 03:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Bill.

Well, that was money well spent. Jip, it was rotten brake hoses. You won't believe the difference replacing them made!!

Kind regards

Gabriël

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, 04 November, 2004 - 07:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well this is not an 'I told you so'. We all take our hoses for granted and usually they are left in situ well beyond their use-by date! Bob Chapman tells the story of a Spirit customer who while the car was jacked up, was asked to stamp on the brakes which he did very effectively - blowing both supply hoses from the accumulator lines to the rat trap! Such events are bowel disturbing but a reminder to know where you are in the hydraulic hose roulette game!!