Lucas relays Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Lucas relays « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, 21 November, 2014 - 09:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I have several lethargic devices -- front passenger window, front passenger door lock, windshield wipers, and others. I think the common element is a relay and I suspect that I am losing voltage due to worn or coated contacts. There are times when revving the engine seems to correct the lethargy. I want to test my theory. If I knew the internal wiring of the relays I could jumper them out and see if that increases the responsiveness. Does anybody have wiring diagrams of the various species these Lucas relays?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Friday, 21 November, 2014 - 09:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes. The vast majority of the relays in these cars are Lucas 6RA have the following diagram/pin configuration:

Lucas & Bosch

Bosch-Type with Lucas Numbers

If it's a 6RA, the diagram is the same as above no matter what the additional numbers on the can. These had to do with how the brackets were positioned on the relay can, not the relay function itself.

Your car is of an era before the diode was used in the relay. I also have shots of the internals with the "can off" if that would help.

Brian

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, 21 November, 2014 - 07:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The pins of the relays are riveted to the boards. All of the Lucas relays I've had trouble with have been a result of the rivets working loose and extra resistance (and heat) at the junction between the pin and the board.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2014 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I've had the same experience. Although I've replaced a number of my relays I've also tried experimenting with "rehabilitation" of the originals. A combination of cleaning the pins and then applying a good blob of solder on the "wiggly pins" at the exterior rivet has worked very well.

No matter how messy the case (and how non-existent any original ultra-tight seal between case and board) when I've removed the cases these Lucas relays have been spotlessly clean inside, at least so far.

These relays are "built like tanks," not unlike our cars, in comparison to any modern relay I've dissected. I wonder if the internals of the currently available "Lucas Classic" version of these relays remains the same?

Brian

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2014 - 01:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

> ... have been spotlessly clean inside ...
Even to the extent of carbonization or pitting on the contacts?

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2014 - 05:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The reason for slow Windows is that the system uses four micro switches to earth out the appropriate side of the motor.

Fit two relays inside the door and use the existing wiring as signal wiring too Work the relays.

See technical stuff on main site for wiring diagram.

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2014 - 09:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suspect that slow(or even non)operating windows on Shadows are not so much the door micro switches as the inadequate gauge of the door wiring. Early Shadows (such as mine SRH1405) do not have this problem as thicker gauge wiring was used.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.74
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2014 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
I think it's the whole lot.

The rear doors have a healthy supply for the cigar lighters.

The front will need a fat Brown wire. There is enough room to squeeze one through the door thingy.

The four fuses at the top of the fuse panel can be changed to 1 amp. The New fat brown wires connected to the fuse for the rear cigar lighters.

Or maybe the centeal locking supply in the door could be used for supply.

An advantage of the system is that it is so repairable with costing lots. Unlike others.

Only bit missing is a rear window disconnect. But nowadays all car have electric Windows so Children are used to them.

(Message approved by david_gore)