Oil dipstick leak Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Oil dipstick leak « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, 12 November, 2014 - 07:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently I replaced the sump gasket on my '79 Shadow. This stopped virtually all of the oil leaks, so, even if it was not the most pleasant job I ever did, I am happy with the results.

However, a new leak has replaced all the others and it seems to be coming from where the oil dipstick enters the sump. I did replace the oil dipstick O-ring but it leaks between the sump tube and dipstick tube. There was a sort of rubber bung around the dipstick that fitted right into the sump tube and in effect sealed it off. The old one was destroyed when removing the dipstick tube and I can't find a new one.
Does anyone now where I can get another one ?

Benoit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Wednesday, 12 November, 2014 - 07:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit,

there should only be the o'ring

often people try to seal it with silicone and I suspect that was the elusive bung you are looking for.

Try another o'ring well lubricated,and don't let it go too far in and pull it out again.

also make sure it's not a tell tale leaking and the tube is chaneling it from the lip on the block.

Cheers,Paul

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, 12 November, 2014 - 08:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

I'l try another O-ring as you said.
The bung was rubber, not silicone, but probably something that wasn't original.

Thanks,

Benoit

jean-pierre hilbert
New User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2014 - 06:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,
My sump was leaking too, so I bought a new gasket, which is still sitting on my shelf as I was able to eliminate all dripping by cleaning the flame traps (2 on my fuel-injected Corniche).
Brian Vogel started a thread about this just recently.
Cleaning the flame trap mesh is easy, quick and costs nothing!

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2014 - 06:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fit new o ring. Clean hole area. Use grease. Wipe of excess.

Also the dipstick tube is clipped to the engine. Make sure that when tightening the clip bolts that the tube is not being pulled to one side thus interfering with the o ring sealing.

If all else fails a smear of silicon ABOVE the o ring.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2014 - 06:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I know about the flame trap and cleaned it thoroughly (altough surprisingly it wasn't that dirty).
I my case replacing the valve cover gaskets and the sump gasket really helped.
The only leaks left now are the dipstick tube and a small leak between engine and gearbox (I guess the rear crankshaft seal needs replacing, but am not sure it's a DIY task).

Bob,

thanks, I will follow your instructions.

Benoit