Door seals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Door seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, 30 October, 2014 - 01:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I have a new set of door seals from Replacement Parts (http://www.replacementpartsinc.com). I've removed the seals from the '66 cadaver car, and that was really easy, but that experience doesn't really say anything about re-installing them on the '72.

Does anybody have any sage wisdom for this project? Any tricks to easy the installation and prevent damage to these new and expensive seals? Should I lubricate the track? If so, castor oil? Dish soap? Water? Baby powder?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.90
Posted on Thursday, 30 October, 2014 - 05:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These are are time consuming to fit.
using hand soap feed the rubber into the channel. The seals has corners so continually reference the corners as the seal is fed into the channel.

Also their has been some mods on door seals if they leak around the frame area. Worry about that bit later if you get whistles.

I use green swarfega jelly hand cleaner. Also cleans grease from trim.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, 04 November, 2014 - 02:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can't find the "entry point" for these new seals. There must be some place where the channel cleats allow an opening but I can't find it with the old seal still on the door. Anybody know where to look?

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Tuesday, 04 November, 2014 - 03:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Start at the right angle corner.

Tuck the outside lip into the door channel.

Use a flat plastic tool about an inch or two wide (spatula like ) to fold the seal into the inner channel. Carry on around, tedious and you may need to go back and push it in again so it locates correctly.

Good luck :-)

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, 04 November, 2014 - 03:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

So, I surmise from your explanation that I'm not looking for a way to slide it in? This is really good to know, because that was my plan and it was beginning to look like it wasn't going to work. Now I have confirmation that sliding is not the best approach. Right?

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Tuesday, 04 November, 2014 - 04:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Correct, no sliding. :-)

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, 04 November, 2014 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also if when fitted the front door seals foul the "B" post on closing, "stretch" the seal away from corner, both along top of frame AND down towards lock. The rear door seal on early cars ha habit of folding at forward/hinge end along top of frame where it touches seal landing face. The factory added fabric at tis corner to resist seal fold. It helps to put a bit of vasaline/grease on landing face to assist seal sliding into correct door closed position.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Wednesday, 05 November, 2014 - 09:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This job is only bearable if one does one door a day then goes and watches a DVD and a nap.

Plastic eating knife useful.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Stefan Ihnat
Experienced User
Username: stefan87

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 27 August, 2017 - 02:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do you have anyone any tips to replace the seal?

Does the entire frame with the window have to be removed?

The varnish also paints the seal, So I have to change it :-/

It does not seem to be a simple matter at all.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: