Foot dip switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Foot dip switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.78
Posted on Friday, 17 October, 2014 - 05:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cannot get on with a foot dip switch. I usually end up dazzling an oncoming car or driving slowly on dip until I find main beam.

The obvious solution is to move the switch to hand operated.

Replace dip switch with a five terminal 30amp relay.
the blue wire goes to common. The blue with red tracer goes to normally closed. The blue with white tracer goes to normally open. The live for the relay operating coil goes to the common terminal as well as the blue. The earth for the operating coil goes to a small switch. The other side of the switch goes to earth.

The switch and the wire to the switch need to be small. So that the switch can be fitted on the indicator stalk.------- somehow without making a dog's dinner of it.

Maplins and Radio Spares sell tiny aero style toggle switches, which are thumb nail size.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, 17 October, 2014 - 09:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, why not convert to a latching relay operated by the headlight flash. Full details are on this site.
Mark

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Friday, 17 October, 2014 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The specific service bulletins for changing from a foot operated switch (which I happen to love and really wish I could have back in all my cars) to a column stalk switch are available on the SY Silver Shadow and Bentley T-Series Service Bulletins page of the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library.

I think that the main reason that foot-operated high-beam/low-beam switches went out in favor of column-stalk switches is for better accessibility for all drivers (including those who drive using only hand controls). That's a very good reason to make that change, but I still love the foot switch.

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.77
Posted on Friday, 17 October, 2014 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Latching relay is the obvious answer. Much easier than my idea. The switch bit is aawkward and likely to look wrong.
I shall check out latching relays in my circuit reference book and the tech site.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Friday, 17 October, 2014 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a look way back to posts by Udo Hoffmüller on this one. There is already a multitude of wiring diagrammes and functional options if you search this site.