Shadow Optima Battery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow Optima Battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, 01 October, 2014 - 06:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, is there a particular model of Optima red-top battery which should be used in the Silver Shadow, or does it matter?
I found one web site which recommended a Group 27 yellow-Top Optima; another site recommended a Blue-Top. I thought the red tops were for cranking autos, adn the blue and yellow tops tops were for RVs and marine-boats.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Wednesday, 01 October, 2014 - 08:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

A Group 27 battery is the correct size for all RR and Bentley cars produced betweeen 1946 and 1980.

If the battery is situated on the right side of the boot/trunk then it's a Group 27F and if it's on the left side then it's a straight Group 27. The difference being which end of the battery the + versus - terminals are placed on. See this picture:

Group 27 and 27F batteries

I believe all the SY series cars had their battery located on the left side, so Group 27 would be correct.

Optima does a good job giving a synopsis of which applications are best for each of their "color top" battery line. The blues are meant for marine, the yellows for applications where very deep drain is expected on a routine basis, and reds for most "typical" automotive applications.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 312
Posted on Wednesday, 01 October, 2014 - 09:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info, Brian.
I looked at my Car's battery and it is a Group 27, on the left side, as you said.
I did start my Car again this evening, and although my timing light was balky, I moved the distributor a little and got Her idling great. The brake pumps are quiet and seem to be pumping; alas! I have two notable leaks in the rear piping connections. I think a little tightening is in order, but at least one may require some dismantling to access.
It was great to hear Her run again, after She was apart so long, and in the hands of an amateur, at that. The cooling system did pressure up, for the first time since I have been Her caretaker. I restored and reinstalled the original Purolator fuel filter with some new hoses, also.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, 01 October, 2014 - 03:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,
My 1966 Shadow SRH1405 was fitted with a Optima Blue Top Marine Deep Cycle Battery Model D34M in 2004.
It is still in excellent condition due in part to keeping it trickle charged.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.89
Posted on Wednesday, 01 October, 2014 - 07:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yellow top optima batteries are for trucks. Blue top are for leisure use and are deep cycle. Blue is not suitable as a starter battery. Optima batteries are up to 3 Times the price.

Are they 3 Times better than a normal SY battery at £40 to £50?

In May this year I paid £42 Inc tax for a 078 battery. 3 year guarantee.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, 02 October, 2014 - 02:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, point well-taken. I had a Walmart battery in the '86 Mercedes S-class, it was bought by the previous owner in either 97 or 99. I replaced it after the car would not start, last year. 2013-1999 = 14 years, the newest it could have been. Bought another just like it. How can you beat it esp. for the price? No leaks, no post corrosion, either.
This battery dates from 2009, previous owner bought it at NAPA. it still has somw warranty, but probably not enough to mess with.

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, 02 October, 2014 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Despite Bob's expert opinion the Blue Top D34M battery is described by Optima as a high power dual purpose engine start and deep cycle battery. It is rather expensive but eminently suitable for our cars.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, 02 October, 2014 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I bought a Group 27 battery at Walmart for $111 including tax.
Oh! The shame...
She'll get over it when I get the cover back on it.Stiff upper lip and all that. I have spent about $1500 US on parts the past few months.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Thursday, 02 October, 2014 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

She certainly will. SRH33576 has had a Wal-Mart battery in her since April 2009 and still going strong (for all of $78).

LRK37110 came to me with an AutoZone Silver battery that continues to function just fine, and was about a year old in 2012.

I've had everything (in lead-acid form) from Interstate batteries to Wal-Mart batteries and haven't found all that much difference. The Jag is still loving the Wal-Mart MAXX battery that replaced the Interstate a bit over a year ago (and that one had lasted about 7 years).

Brian

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Saturday, 04 October, 2014 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Blue top are suitable as a starter battery my mistake I got confused in the blurb.

The blue top has extra terminals for accessories. Hence is marine suitability.

IMO

However at £275 a pop its a lot of dosh for no real advantage unless one needs power for extended periods. My £42 battery will easily run the radio all day without starting the car, I sometimes use the radio while working in my garage.

Also if one does go deep cycle the cars alternator will need quite a time to recharge, deep cycle batteries can't be fast charged only trickled charged. Which is at least 24 hours. The SY alternator will sense the battery and trickle charge it. So the battery will have to be externally charged if the deep cycle is used.

It must be remembered that the modern alternator is there to run the electrical system and replace the power taken by the starter and a steady trickle charge.

If one is not careful with these type of batteries one may find that the battery fails early due to constant under charging.

If the car is used as normal then the battery will be fine.
I understand the concern over batteries because if it doesn't go then the car is useless. I just fit the cheapest correct battery and first sign of battery distress fit another cheapest correct battery. 4-5 years.

I have AA road side breakdown and recovery just in case and other stiff can go wrong on a 40 year old car.
Any body driving an old car should get road side thingy else it's £50 minimum. Or if a long way from home lots more.

(Message approved by david_gore)