NON GENUINE PARTS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » NON GENUINE PARTS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2004 - 01:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good afternoon All,

Some time ago I recal reading a list of alternate part numbers on the forum and made a note that some of the parts were Repco etc.

I have been trying to find this list but am unable to do so.

Can anyone send me a copy of it, or point me in the right direction on the web site to find it?

Graeme Soderlund

John Dickinson
Frequent User
Username: au2018

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2004 - 08:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graeme,

I just typed the word "Repco" into the website Search function and got fourteen references. Try that and see if you can locate the list.

John

John Dickinson
Frequent User
Username: au2018

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2004 - 08:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme,

Would it be the list contained in the following post?

5. Technical Forum: Silver Shadow, Silver Shadow II, Bentley T-Series and T2: Non-genuine Interchangable Parts: Archive through 14 May, 2003

John

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, 04 October, 2004 - 09:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look at:

http://home.att.net/~rolls_royce/parts.htm

Graeme Söderlund
Prolific User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, 05 October, 2004 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks All,

the actual list I was looking for was as John suggested, 14 May 2003.

Once again, the data available on the site is invaluable to us all, and I am most appreciative of the help and suggestions from everyone.

Where would we be without the site, the users, and people like Bill, David, John, Richard etc.?.

Graeme.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, 08 October, 2004 - 08:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme,

The list of May 14 2003 is a shortened extract from the site I mentioned.

Larry Halpert
Frequent User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, 09 October, 2004 - 03:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As part of a new list I'm putting together, here is a list of cross-referenced front brake pads for Shadows & Spurs (no sensor pads), for those who want to use their preferred brands from their local parts stores at much lower prices:

APEC - PAD626
APEC - PAD 568
ATE - 13.0460-7042.2
BENDIX - 571247X
BENDIX - 571247B
BENDIX - 322316
FERODO - FDB167
FORD - 1576829
FORD - 1576835
FORD - 1576828
FORD - 1576830
FORD - 1576827
FORD - 1554550
FORD - 1574839
FORD - 1565491
FORD - 1572060
JURID - 571247J
JURID - 28 407 06
JURID - 28 407 06 4
LEYLAND DAF - GBP241
LOCKHEED - LP154
LUCAS - GDB672
LUCAS - GDB669
LUCAS - GDB667
LUCAS - GDB665
LUCAS - GDB660
MINTEX - MGB633
MOTAQUIP - VBP240
QUINTON HAZELL - BP107
QUINTON HAZELL - BP102
ROULANDS (DAN BLOCK) - 435981
TALBOT - VBP240
TEXTAR - 20491 15.1 04
UNIPART - GBP683
UNIPART - GBP556
W.V.A. - 20491 15.10
W.V.A. - 20491 15.0
W.V.A. - 20491 15.00

Larry

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, 09 October, 2004 - 09:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Thank you very much for sharing this information with us - it is greatly appreciated and in the true spirit of this Forum and our Aussie tradition of helping our mates.

Roy M Tilley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 222.152.159.146
Posted on Monday, 11 October, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does this list of interchangeable pads show pads that are merely dimensionally interchangeable with the 'official' RR pads or does the list include only those pads of the correct material for Shadows etc. I am open to correction but I was always under the impression that 'our' pads were almost as hard as racing type pads because of our high pressure systems, whereas for example the Mk V Cortina pads, often quoted as interchangeable, would be much softer and therefore have different friction/heat resistance/squeal/life (theirs and ours!) properties.
Give me light that I may be enlightened.
Regards
Roy Tilley,
NZRR&BC

Hi Roy, would you please register as a user so you can post direct. Kind regards David

(Message edited by david_gore on October 12, 2004)

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, 12 October, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Roy,

Without directly answering the question, note the following.

Although the back plate pattern may be the same, the friction material plan shape itself varies. Some aftermatket pads have more "meat" at the inner edge and parallel sided friction material, whilst the genuine ones and others are V-shaped on plan. If have no idea if it really matters or not: maybe the parralel types wear the disc rotors more quickly at the centres. The friction material thickness does not seem to vary

As a vague form of protection, the European and US authorities have recently ruled on a common norm that replacement brake pads must be within +/-15% of the OEM friction rating. This implies that if a pad manufacturer lists Rolls-Royce (as Lucas-Mintex-PBR do for a start) you are safe.

You can be sure that, to avoid prosecution or litigation alone, a major pad producer will only list compliant pads, so don't simply rely on the word of a small sales outfit or words on Ebay alone. If you see the listing in a major's catalogue I would trust it.

Any comments ?

Larry Halpert
Frequent User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, 13 October, 2004 - 04:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would think that on those two points:

1) Even though we have high pressure circulating our systems, the same pressure is put on the rotors to create the same slowing down of the car, as other cars of that weight/disc size. Our systems don't apply those extreme higher pressures at that end point as that would just lock up the wheels. That interchange was from a site that showed it for Rolls Royces.

2) Rotors are always round, and calipers always squeeze on any car, so pads with extra meat that were OE (or not OE) on any car would be subject to the theory of wearing the inner rotors quicker, yet they are supplied & manufactured anyway with engineers blessing. Maybe Rolls buys only the V-shaped pads to make ordering simpler, and only need to grab a batch to have customized with sensors, where we will have to cut away a slice of material.

hmm?

Larry

Harry Kuurio
Experienced User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 23 October, 2004 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmm,

Why don't replace the pads with EBC kevlar pads?
Benefits - better performance, NO BRAKE DUST, less wear. On such a heavy car I'd say it's a very good idea indeed. The "Green Stuff" pads are the ones to go for.

I went for kevlar in my Jag XJ-S Sportspack (348 bhp/488 Nm) which has very good gripping power even as standard (as does the Shadows) and REALLY CAN VOUCH FOR THEM for improvement.

The feel on the brake is better, and the wheels stay clean of brake dust. On a well balanced car this also is a safety matter; older cars don't have ABS but if one knows what one is doing the stopping distance can be reduced by even 7-10%.
On ABS vehicles the average is 3-4%.

Cost premium is really low, in my opinion.

No financial ties whatsoever with EBC - just a good product in my experience! (And there's alternative I know, as well).

Larry Halpert
Frequent User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, 24 October, 2004 - 04:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK,

Brake Pads Shadows & Spurs (no sensors):

EBC "Greenstuff" - DP2291

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Roy M Tilley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 222.152.147.26
Posted on Sunday, 24 October, 2004 - 08:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excuse my ignorance but who, what and where are EBC?
Regards
Roy Tilley, NZRR&BC

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.243
Posted on Monday, 25 October, 2004 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

EBC Brakes Australia;Tel. 03 9 462 3210. Have no experience with the R-R pads, but have their "Greenstuff" on a Range Rover (Supercharged) and they work fine. I believe (unconfirmed)that EBC products are made in UK and possibly other EEC countries also. Good Luck!

Larry Halpert
Frequent User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 26 October, 2004 - 06:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Never used them before, but they are available in the US, UK, etc.

As they show here...:

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/WhereToBuy.html

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

William H. Trovinger II
Grand Master
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, 16 December, 2004 - 09:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all;

The following might be an economical modification other may wish to do.

Last week my ’76 Shadow’s alternator malfunctioned and was no longer charging the battery. I went on to Introcar and found the price for a reconditioned CAV 512 at £149.99 plus £100.00 for the core and if needed a new 440 regulator was £49.99 plus £30.00 core charge. Of course as they say the regulator is new I do not understand the core charge.

However, when I took my Alternator out to take it to a local shop for testing I discovered that it had been replaced with a Delco-Remy with regulator built in. I then checked my relay box and found that there was no regulator and the wires had been connected together. I check old service records and must assume that when the alternator was replaced in 1989 (by pervious owner) this modification was done. Have not yet made a diagram of how this was re-wired but hope to do it later. In the end the replacement alternator from Advance Auto Parts, was U$38.88 plus tax and a $15.00 core charge.

Best regards,
Bill

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, 13 October, 2005 - 02:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Richard Treacy

Do you know where the following website went?

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 03:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That particular site seems to have been taken down, but can be seen here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041016055545/http://home.att.net/~rolls_royce/parts.htm

I've transferred everything useful a while back (except every bulb that is easily matched at a parts store), onto my substitute parts list:

http://mutley.hypermart.net/RollsSubstitueParts.html

Larry

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, 14 October, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, Larry. I was wondering what happened to the old site.

May I make a comment ?

It is not the business of the RROC(A) to recommend alternatives, and the choice is individual. We do wish to support Crewe as the pricipal spares supplier for our ageing motor cars within reason.

Hovever, materials and components are often improved upon over time, and those improvements are often well worthwhile. Many improved components are not available through Crewe.

When someone asks how to shut up squeaky Crewe power steering belts on a 20,000-series SZ, I answer that Molyslip Silicone Paste will fix a squeaky Crewe belt for 3 months, or that a pair of notched Gates 7448 or 6269MC will stop the noise forever. Larry has captured that improvement among the many others.

Larry, would you consider expanding the excellent "Larry's List" to include some useful accessories ? An example: a medium-wave radio in a Shadow is not exactly effective these days, but there are alternatives. Also, there are firms which will gut an old radio and install a new digital movement capable of supporting eveything from FM to GPS to IPod and DVD with no change in appearance. Questions arise every day about what wheels and tyres are available to suit our cars these days, ultrasonic reverse park sensors, remote locking, quartz clocks, plazma rear view mirrors, and the list goes on.

Just a thought.

RT.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Larry.

Hello Richard
If I may answer your question.
He is very busy; however, he invites submissions to the list, at the top and bottom of the parts page.
I suspect that he would even consider adding a BEATLES paint job or (horror) a trailer hitch to the list, if it where submitted.

If you happen to know other substitute parts, or need CD manuals for your car, please E-Mail Larry at:
tbird@consultant.com
Richard Treacy

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, 15 October, 2005 - 05:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again,

Yes, I would be willing to put a new section on the page for modified/updated technology accessories.

I've even wondered myself if there is a square analog clock that would fit neatly & look correct where my blue LED digital clock is on my '89 Spur.

Send me some reliable stuff to start the section off with.

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, 08 November, 2006 - 04:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Slight change to the URL to my alternate parts list. It took me over a year to realize I spelled "Substitute" wrong in the web address, so I decided to correct it:

http://mutley.hypermart.net/RollsSubstituteParts.html

Larry

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, 12 October, 2008 - 01:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I discovered these Oil Filter Kits on ebay. This guy seems to have them fairly regularly.

ROLLS-ROYCE & BENTLEY OIL FILTER CARTRIDGE

They cost me US$19.95 each plus US$12.50 shipping for a pair of them.

This was cheaper last month than it is now of course. However what is interesting about them is that they come with exactly the same collection of washers 'n bits as the Crewe kit. The one difference is that the cork washer has been reproduced in some sort of rubber compound.

I don't wish to re-ignite the 'genuine parts' debate but this might be of use to those for whom it's the cheaper part or no oil change at all this month.

Here are some photos of what you get. Notice in particular the RR part No: on the "Classic Gold Authentic Reproduction" box.

I don't know where these are made or who the original supplier is. Does anybody know ?

As they come out of the box - See next post

And the contents - note the rubber washer

(Message edited by david_gore on 13 October 2008)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, 12 October, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

2nd photo of the contents laid out

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, 12 October, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also - in both cases there are 2 largish o-rings. When I changed my filter I used the smaller of the two because that is what was on the car already.

What is the larger one for ? A different type of filter head ? Have I left something vital off the car ?

I'd appreciate any help on this before I put the new oil in. Fortunately I don't have to drive it for a while.

Cheers,

Jeff

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, 12 October, 2008 - 06:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jeffrey,

Firstly the larger seal is for earlier cars, so you can ignore it and fill her up :-)

On the actual filter: It looks like a fairly well made kit. Not just thrown together out of "similar" items.

Is the rubber fairly 'firm' ? As long as it's not too soft a compound I can't see it having a detrimental effect. I can't imagine a manufacturer going to extent and then making a seal that wasn't oil proof.

Oil changes and filters are the most important things to these engines. Keep up the good work :-)

Now if anybody wants a reason to stop when they hear a strange tapping from their engine, here's about 5000!

For anybody scratching their head, we have:
Con rod, Bent Variety.
Gudgeon Pin. Mushroom ended.
Valve, stemless.
Sump, containing shrapnel made of piston, liner, rings, etc.

Fatal!

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Sunday, 12 October, 2008 - 08:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alternate oil filters in my mind rank with cheap tyres which fortunately in this country seem to be banned. When I lived in the States some 30 plus years ago I was offered 2 ply tyres to put on my 327 cu in Rambler!! But as Richard has said any reputable firm is not going to turn out shonky vital bits such as brake pads and filters considering what is at risk exemplified by Paul's pics. For years I have been using Crosland filters in our cars which have been emminently sstisfactory and available at a reasonable cost. Crosland are an enormous concern which hopefully is some sort of guarantee.

When the vee eight first came out a couple of new owners in the States worked out that a filter I believe listed for a Cadillac could be used. All that was required was to remove the conical piece on the top of the genine filter and transfer it to the Cadillac filter. At some stage the whole thing collapsed, cut off oil supply entirely and the engines were destroyed. All to save a few dollars.

At the risk of appearing racist this looking for cheaper ways of running our cars seems to be an American thing which I don't understand if it is the case. After market components actually manufactured for our cars are certainly worthy of consideration but the effort of finding them making sure they fit and monitoring their performance is often simply not worth it. Brake pads I do not fiddle with - they are too near the coal face. I have seen two early shadows with wrecked brake rotors through using what turned out to be too soft after market pads? By contrast R A Chapman in Melbourne make a brake rotor for later Shadows and SZ cars which I believe is superior to the original. And they are quite a bit less expensive so I use them.

So back to the filters. Crosland do indeed make a cartridge filter which will fit all vee eights prior to the Shadow II. The one bit they do not supply however is the conical cork support piece. That can be bought separately from the dealers but predictably costs so much the original filter kit becomes more attractive. Jeffrey's find of a replacement filter, personally I would not touch. It is too cheap in price. It may be a perfectly good unit and the rubber bung in lieu of the cork bung may work fine but I would not be confident to accept that fitting from an untraceable manufacturer that apart from other considerations uses the factory part number quite unashamedly, presumably because it is a hidden producer.

Consider all this and look at Paul's picture and then wonder whether you are so poor you can't afford a few extra dollars for the real McCoy or at least one from a traceable reputable manufacturer.

Paul Yorke
Prolific User

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2008 - 02:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

I never use anything but the R-R supplied brake pads. Certainly some are just OE R-R in the manufacturers box, but most seem to be matched by the size of the backing plate. A big mistake in my book.

Without examining the filter it is hard to say with any certainty about it's quality. The price is certainly a worry. On the other hand, many R-R OE suppliers have to get rid of old stock etc.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to Oil filters and always use a genuine R-R one. As soon as I see an alternative filter on a R-R, I can't help but jump to the conclusion that the rest of the car has also had costs cut. 9 out of 10 times I'm right (over here in the UK).

BUT . . . a few weeks ago I was doing a clients Porsche. I'd was dropping his Spirit off and there was his 911 standing in a pool of oil. His regular guy was ill so he asked me to repair it. Took it off, replaced the leaking remote oil tank. Filled it up and . . . didn't even get as far as a test drive.

There was some sort of noise coming from somewhere in the oil system. What I can only described as a doleful bagpipe player practising. After removing and double checking the parts I'd disturbed, refitting them and still getting the same noises, I decided that it sounded like it was coming from the oil filter or housing. ( all remote )!

I then decided to phone a friend that only repairs Porsches ,Porchers, Porchei, or whatever the plural might be. I described the problem and his first question was - Is it a genuine Porcshe filter you've fitted. I answered with confidence 'of course!'

Straight away he said 'bin it' They're cr*p! Porsche supply useless tinny American made filters. 'Buy a German one'. I did , and the bagpipes disappeared! So what are you supposed to make of Original Equipment there ?

Suppose we have to keep an open mind ??? or something!

Bill, Upon hearing a strange 'rattling bottle tops in a jar' noise in the engine, the driver of the Cloud II thought it best to put his foot down so he could make it to the next exit off the motorway. He managed it, but the engine didn't!

Bill Payne
Experienced User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2008 - 06:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tinny American filters(must be Fram). I have had no good experience with this brand of filters.

Some years ago, I was a supplier to WIX Filters Gastonia, NC plant in the 70s thru the early 90s. They were OE suppliers to Saab, Volvo, VW, the Big Three and numerous other auto manufacturers. I would assume they still maintain those relationships as well as supplying all of NAPA's filters. There are few manufacturers left whether it be filters, tires, etc. There is some interesting info to be found here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ go from here to the forum link.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2008 - 06:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I take the point about false economy. Fortunately I managed to pick up a packet of six of the little cork washers for about 50c each - in the original RR packaging, so I'll use the RR filter and have a look at some Crosslands ones to carry as spares.

Thanks Paul for the info on the rubber o-ring. I'll pass the larger ones on to Moss Vale, I'm sure they know someone who owns an older car or two.

Cheers,

Jeff

Paul Yorke
Prolific User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2008 - 06:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No it wasn't Fram, It was a logo I didn't recognise VP I think. Porsche just put a sticker on it - couldn't even bother to have them made & printed especially! Very disappointing!

Maybe it is some weight saving exercise?

When you hold an empty one in your hand and compare it to the German ones, you can tell it's only got half the materials in it.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2008 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And Paul to think they let these people vote! It is a worry. About 60 years ago there was a lady driving out of Lindisfarne (suburb of Hobart Tsmania Australia) in an even then old Singer. Long straight hill foot flat to the floor finally had to change gears. Down went the clutch, up came the accelerator foot not however followed by the pedal. Quick thinking as she had some way up she coasted to the side of the road applied the hand brake alighted and walked back to Lindisfarne to get help. No she didn't! When help arrived so the story goes they had to collect the engine with shovels! Must have been spectacular!

Larry Halpert
Prolific User

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2008 - 08:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Either way, genuine Rolls screw on filters are Fram filters. They have less filtration surface area, and lower quality pressure relief valves than better made filters such as Bosch or AC Delco.

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/german.html

The fact that the Bosch or AC Delco filters are only about $5, is a non-sequitur, though good news to those that aren't in a position of having all the money they'll ever need for any occurance for the rest of their lives.

Gus Brogden
Frequent User
Username: gus

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2009 - 05:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all, anybody have an idea of a wiper blade that fits on Shadows that one could pick up at a Napa or other parts store?