Recalcitrant Sphere Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Recalcitrant Sphere « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 03:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I have a sphere from the '66 cadaver car, and I want to rebuild it, consequently I want to open it. I have hung 165 pounds of Chris at the end of my five-foot pin wrench handle with no luck. That is 825 ft-lb, for anybody playing along at home... That's a lot.

I've already done the "whack around the containment ring with a hammer", but I used a pretty small hammer and blows about equivalent to driving a 16d nail. So, how big a hammer do I want?

Of course, I soaked the exposed end of the threads with both Liquid Wrench and WD-40 for hours. Are there any other tricks I can try

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 993
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 05:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used a 3-lb hammer and the sphere was on a concrete floor.

While I didn't put my full arm into it the hits were more than taps. I consistently applied them at the top of the clamping ring so that I was, in a way, getting a hit there and from the floor on the opposing side as well.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 07:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You might try warming the ring A LITTLE, like with hot water,while trying to keep the rest of the sphere as cool as possible.
Theory: heat will expand it a little, perhaps enough to loosen the threads and reduce friction enough to let it move with the force you can develop with the wrench.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 07:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Chris

I had a very stubborn accumulator. I used a lump hammer on the pin wrench. The sphere was firmly clamped to my workbench and I'd clamped the pin wrench in place. It took about 10, maybe 20 firm hits to the side of the pin wrench and finally it moved. I think the important thing here was that the force from the blows was directed through the pin wrench exactly where it needed to be on the ring. The shock from the hammer blows definitely helped to free the ring, which after so many years had almost become welded to the hemispheres.

Geoff.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 06:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Use an anvil and it will ring and when the note changes stop.

(Message approved by david_gore)