Newsletters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Newsletters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 05:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

What are the newsletters covering topic of interest to Rolls Royce owners? How do I find some?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.80
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 06:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tee one topics on this forums main page. It's good read.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, 20 August, 2014 - 08:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tee One Topics
Originally they could be viewed in your browser, but now they're downloaded to "Downloads" where you can view them with a PDF reader. These days I also save a copy in a sub folder of the workshop manual.

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan,

Tee One Topics is a very good newsletter, but it is still published? The most recent one is March 2103, which is nearly a year and a half old... I seek newsletters still under active publication.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

Most Rolls-Royce and/or Bentley related "newsletters" (they're really not, they're more like magazines-lite) are published by the various clubs around the world.

The RROC-US has The Flying Lady (plus others for the various societies within the club), the RROC-Australia has Praeclarum (rendered in the Latin style, "Præclarvm," on the cover), the RREC in the UK has its Bulletin, and I'm quite sure there are others. Membership in said clubs (or societies) gets you on the mailing (or e-mailing, these days in some cases) lists for these publications.

As far as I know, Bill Coburn is still publishing Tee-One Topics, but it has always been an occasional publication, not on a hard "X issues per year" schedule and is Bill's labor of love.

Join the various clubs and you can be inundated with RR/Bentley publications.

Brian

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 06:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,
Keeping tee One topics in a subfolder is a cracking idea because I keep all my cars history on a memory stick which has the RR manual on it which has notes added for SRH 17768. The stick goes with the car so the next owner has the info. This also makes the car more valuable.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 09:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I should also mention forums such as this are replacing the newsletters and other technically-oriented publications.

The various R-R/B forums provides a means for someone seeking information on a specific problem to post a request and receive specific information relatively quickly. The only time the forum fails is where no-one is in a position to comment on the question raised. Our forum being international and open to all probably has the best access to sources of information and advice unlike other forums that are restricted to club members only.

The newsletters rely on an individual [or small group of individuals] taking the time and effort to write articles and publish them. Indexing the newsletters by the author[s] is often a problem due to lack of time and we are fortunate one of our forum members was able to provide the time and effort to index Tee One Topics for our benefit. As the authors are writing articles based on their own experience and activities, many topics relevant to other owners may not be covered hence the role of the forum in publicising the problem and discovering members with specific experience and information to help solve the problem.

Bill Coburn has given the post-WW2 R-R/B owners a great benefit from publishing Tee One Topics and the decrease in the number of newsletters in recent years most likely reflects other demands on his time and, like all of us, the consequences of being not as young and active as we were in past years.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, 21 August, 2014 - 07:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm not knocking the effort that's gone into indexing the topics, although alphabetically might have been more useful than just by timeline/issue. Fortunately the index can be searched by word using "Edit/Find" as can all the individual Topics. Just remember that 'brake' includes 'brakes', but not the other way round!

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 289
Posted on Friday, 22 August, 2014 - 04:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hurrah! To Bill Coburn; Imagine this Hobby without his and other information now available via the Internet.