Kienzle Dashboard Clock Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Kienzle Dashboard Clock « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 05:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I have a Keinzle dashboard clock. I doesn't work. I extracted it and put 12 volts across the terminals as described by the markings on the case. No dice.

So, this looks to be a sealed unit, and it also looks to be an expensive unit and I want to save it, if I can. So, has anybody surgically opened one of these guys and repaired it? Is there a fuse or some such serviceable component inside?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 08:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You best bet is to find an instrument fitter/repairer - rare these days but still around and would be known by any professional car restorers in your part of the world.

I had the clock in DRH14434 fixed by an instrument fitter not long after it was acquired and the cost was much less than I expected. Cannot remember if it was a Smiths or Keinzle clock as it was over 20 years ago.

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I have succeeded opening this. I was able to uncrimp the ring holding the crystal over the face without much difficulty or damage to the facia and extract the works. This is quite a clever device. It is almost entirely mechanical! The electric component consists of a set of contactor points which have the effect of putting a very small load on the mainspring which drives the escapement.

The contactor drives an electro-magnet that winds the clock, so to speak, and puts about a minute of time on the spring. When the mainspring winds down, the contactor points close and the electro-magnet puts another minute on the mainspring. Quite clever.

However, mine still doesn't work. The contactor energized the electro-magnet, but it appears that the mainspring is just not strong enough to drive the escapement. I suspect a design defect and that something has managed to work itself out of place, since all three of my clock don't work -- the '72, the '71 and the '66 cadaver car.

Maybe, all it needs is a bit of light oil... Stay tuned.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

Well, I'll be damned... That worked. A little bit of castor oil in a syringe with an IM needle, miniscule drops at the points of contact between the axles of the gears and the plates that hold them, and voila! Tick, Tock...

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Run clock fitted upside down for an hour. This to load the bearings upside down and clean out tiny bits of dirt. Next time use clock oil, castor oil will congeal in about 2 years. Easy fix will be clock oil.
The guy who repaired my grandfather clock told me the upside down trick.

(Message approved by david_gore)