2500 psi. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » 2500 psi. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk-
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.83
Posted on Friday, 15 August, 2014 - 05:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

2240 lbs is a ton. Long ton.
2500 is approximately 1.1 tons.
This means that the hydraulic system in a shadow is working at 1.1 tons per square inch.The sphere thread diameter is 15/16 which is approximately 0.75 square inches of surface area. 1.1 TONS on 0.75 is approximately 0.80 tons per square inch.
There is a lot approximatelys in the above and I missed out the holes. So call it over O.5 tons per square inch.

That is how much pressure is on the sphere joint.
This is perfectly safe unless the joint is not up to scratch. If the joint were to be loosen under pressure then there is 1/2 ton on those threads. Which will strip the last couple out and the sphere will try to propel it self into what ever it hits.
like a cannon ball.

99.9 % of people will understand the above and most will already know. Mucking about with spheres is like standing under a badly supported 1/2 ton weight.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, 15 August, 2014 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A ton is 2,000 lbs, and a metric ton is 1,000 Kg = 2,200 lbs. Nobody uses "long ton", unless they specify "long ton".

> 2500 is approximately 1.1 tons.
Since a ton is 2,000 lbs, than 2,500 lbs is exactly 1.25 tons.

> The sphere thread diameter is 15/16
If you're talking about the threads between the ACV and the sphere, then it is 9/8".

> ...which is approximately 0.75 square inches of surface area
which is more closely, approximately .69 square inches.

> 1.1 TONS on 0.75 is approximately 0.80 tons per square inch.
1.1 tons on 0.75 square inches is approximately 1.47 tons per square inch, and 2,500 lbs on .75 square inches is 1.67 tons per square inch, using the correct definition of ton.

> the sphere will try to propel itself
> into whatever it hits like a cannon ball.
Well, your premise is ridiculous, because nobody would intentionally do what you suggest, unless they didn't know any better or didn't realize what they were doing, but it is worth considering, so ...

Let's suppose you have a brand new, fully nitrogen charged sphere... which is threaded to 50% of the depth necessary to consider the ACV attached to the sphere. Why has the brake fluid not all leaked out?

You only have 19.2 cu.in. of brake fluid, and it is under initial pressure of 2,500 PSI. At 50%, you will have brake fluid everywhere, but in the sphere. If you don't have brake fluid everywhere, then I think the o-ring at the interface between the ACV and the sphere is probably not doing much good, and the likelihood of having it displaced under pressure by an improperly torqued sphere is zero.

And even if you succeeded, the "salt and pepper shaker" apertures are pretty small, meaning they are not large enough to eject enough mass to move much. And you have less than 11 ounces of brake fluid mass anyway. So, the short conclusion is, if you were silly enough or distracted enough to disconnect a fully pressurized sphere from its ACV, then you will quite likely make a huge mess, but I think the "cannonball" thing is a bit overblown, and pretty unlikely...

And remember, I have removed a bleed screw from a fully pressurized sphere, which is a much larger aperture, so I can tell you, it makes a mess and spews brake fluid everywhere, but doesn't cause the sphere to take off like Sputnik.

for your consideration,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Friday, 15 August, 2014 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did those calculations from the top of multiple head which why I called a lot less.

The bleed screw hole is 3/8 UNF with a smaller, I guess 1/8 hole at the bottom of the seat.It isnt a lot bigger than the nipple hole.

I use metric in which tonne is a long ton more or less. Imperial system is inferior for mental arithmetic.

I can just as easily calculate to 5 places of decimal using a calculator. In the UK correcting some mental arithmetic that is merely an estimation for an analogy purpose is crass and boorish. It wouldn't matter if the end result was 1/4 of ton it will still kill you.

I cannot understand why you persist in refusing to . that mucking about with charged spheres is dangerous.

You seem not to understand that a charged sphere has stored energy and if you release all that Energy fast it will kill you. It will tear and arm off, bang will burst your ear drums shatter glass.

No doubt you will get you calculator out and start measuring time to discharge rates.

}

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3050
Posted on Friday, 15 August, 2014 - 08:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

Nobody uses "long ton", unless they specify "long ton".

Rubbish. We are not on an American site. This is an Australian site. The 2,000lb ton is a USA thing and not for Australia.

Similarly, we use litres but there are about 4.5 litres to the gallon unit still sometimes used in Australia and the UK. A US gallon is only about 3.8 Litres.

Australia and the UK use the tonne (1,000 kg), but the ton when it is referred to is still 2,240 lb as it always has been here.

Too many dodgy measures, methods and materials are poisoning these threads. Let's try to stick primarily to Australian Standards on this site.

RT.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2014 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, as a measurement of speed

Australian/UK ton = 100 MPH

US ton = 89.28 MPH

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.76
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2014 - 05:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also in the UK we use Tads Smidgens and Pinches. To refine the system we then base division on 12 so that the unit can be divided 2 3 4 and 6.
So 12th of a tad is a tadimole.
A 12th of smidgen smidgimole.
And a 12th of a pinch is a pinchbit
Pinches are used mainly for measuring salt.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2014 - 09:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

You are bringing back memories of times long gone when the machinists at work continually used tads, smidgens and pinches when tool setting for a new job.

True craftsmen who took great pride in their work especially their accuracy when finish machining.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2014 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The system varies from region to region and trade to trade. The Welsh system is based on 7 not 12 and they use tafs.
Engineers work to the nearest thou
Cabinet makers 10 thou
And builders work on the nearest house.

I am allowed because my mum was Welsh.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2014 - 01:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

Go scratch as my grandmother often said - both my maternal grandparents were Welsh from the Rhondda Valley and both my great-grandfather and grandfather sang in the Capel Rhondda choir for the first public performance of Cwm Rhondda in Hopkinstown in 1907. I am the current custodian of my grandmother's Welsh family Bible dating from 1746 and my grandfather's Eisteddfod medals for singing [unfortunately I didn't inherit their talent for singing but I did inherit their willingness to go underground in mines].

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 620
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2014 - 09:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You've forgotten the 'gnat's' as a measure of a dimension. eg. one foot is 355 and a gnat's mms.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 01:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And a short-boot Silver Dawn with the light bumpers is precisely one perch long. Or one rod if you prefer, the same as one pole.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 02:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My wife uses the blip system when using a tape measure for DIY. So 10.25 inches becomes 10 inches and a blip.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 01:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave,
My mum came from Tintern. Mis spelt.
Tintern sort of moved about between the eng Welsh border.
When I 14 she took me to see where she lived and the cottage was derelict. 1990 we went to see Tintern Abbey and the cottage has been rebuilt and is now owned by UK national trust.

I speak a small amount of Welsh. A micro wave is a poppyda ping. My mother spoke Welsh and while in Brecon a Welsh lad said in Welsh that the English were not nice ( polite way on putting it) My mum ripped into him so fast he had to have it translated by my cousin into English and then into Welsh.
I was told off at infants school for speaking in Welsh.

Welsh is very tonal and pitch based which is why Welsh choirs are so good.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.88
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We abandoned the gnats cock in the 1970 stupid idea conference with the EU. We decided that because gnats are difficult to catch to use ants dickys in stead because ants are easy to catch for comparison purposes.
In return the French dropped frogs toe nails and introduced snail hairs.
This why the Welsh went base 7 with tafs. 7 tafs to a snail hair.

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 01:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aren't you guys forgetting about the smallest increment known to man -- The RCH? A CH is already pretty small, but the red one is pretty much indivisible...

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.79
Posted on Sunday, 17 August, 2014 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Of course the Germans had to be in on the deal and took control and came up with these stupid micron things which are useless because every body thought he was saying my crons which we thought typical, the Germans as usual were thinking about food.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, 18 August, 2014 - 08:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ruddy Krauts! They gave the micron a stupid lower case 'u' with a longer downstroke as its symbol. It's not on a standard keyboard!

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, 18 August, 2014 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's not a funky "u", it is a lower case "mu", which is a greek letter equivalent to our "M", and it means "micro-" in any context, which is 10E-6, or "one millionth", in words.

Let's see what happens if I try to put one here:[μ]. Well, I can see it as I compose, but "message preview" converts it to an "http encode" value, so it probably won't come through...

For you consideration,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.85
Posted on Tuesday, 19 August, 2014 - 06:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My cat uses mu, when he is calculating the quality of milk he needs, I asked him what units he was using and he said mu.

After the measurement unit conference they discussed the correct shape for bees knees and the Italians decided that if the bees wore very tight trousers then the nobbles wouldn't show. Unfortunately this has lead to shortage of tight trousering and bees. But this was solved by the Spanish with Spanish flies fitted with honey pots.

Jan,
To do a mu on a PC simply use a pubic hair, and stick to the screen with booger. Again boogers have a specific measurement system of stickiness called the greenie coefficient. Unfortunately the environmentalists complained so we ignored them.