Wire Clamps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Wire Clamps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 06:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,
I bought a collection of hose clamps from Harbor Freight. For those of you unfamiliar, Harbor Freight is largely Indian and Chinese produced tools and materials, so you have to be aware of the quality of the item you are considering. Many are exceptionally good for the cost. In this case, the material was pretty light gauge, which means that they fail under what I would consider normal forces. I have no idea how they will hold up over time, but I expect rust, operational failures, and difficulty removing them. So, these were not a good deal. So, now what?

There are lots of designs for wire clamping tools everywhere, and there are also lots of instructional videos showing how they work. The idea is pretty simple and I had some steel brake line sitting around, and Harbor Freight had a pretty good deal on a small spool of stainless steel wire. Here's what I made:

The clamp is two pieces The bolt was a carriage bolt and I ground the head to a square, not because there was any benefit to this choice, but this was the bolt that I chose to sacrifice and a square head was easier to make. The bolt turns in the steel tube, and the two hex nuts locked together form a shoulder so the bolt does not engage the steel tube and preserves it as a spacing component. The wing nut will proceed up the bolt as the bolt is turned with a nut driver, and that is the key. Wrap the ends of the wire around the wings, and the wing nut will pull the wire clam tight.
Clamp

So here you are initially
Start

And after you have turned the bolt, here is where you will be when the clamp is quite snug.
Tight

And here's what it looks like. I think it turned out pretty well.
Result

For your consideration,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.90
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2014 - 06:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Easier still is to get pliers that are used for wiring rebar. These are available in smaller sizes for car stuff.
Cable ties present a flat surface which is less likely to cut through.

Also I have SS rings that are nipped with pinchers to tighten these are very tidy but not cheap.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Kelly Opfar
Experienced User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 03:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris, you are describing a tool that is similar to tools made by ClampTite. www.clamptitetools.net. This website describes clearly how this tool is used. This is the tool I used to do the same job you are doing here - clamping the boot on the steering joint.

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 03:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly,

It may very well have been your picture that was my inspiration. I already knew about these tools, but it was when I had an extant need that I spent the time to build one. I owe a debt of gratitude to whomever came up with the original idea.

Originally I had a cable tie and that just pulled off and the boot was now no longer doing its shielding job and was interfering with the steering. Your picture with the wire clamp was clearly an improvement over my cable tie, and I decide that was the way to go.

I don't claim the idea of making wire clamps; I posted this because, even though these wire clamp gizmos are not hugely expensive, mine cost nearly zero and only took fifteen minutes to build from parts I already had. I suspect there will be spontaneous implementations in other shops and I hope we get to see some pictures.

I made a second variation that has a long reach with a hinge about an inch from the notched end for making clamps in tight places. The hinged-end will pull at a right angle to the work, rather than tangent as this model does, and then when tight the hinge-end can do the 180 flip at the cost of only an inch of space, while allowing the tension action to happen some distance away, like twelve inches.

I have a prototype that doesn't work very well because I haven't made it very well, however it has proven the concept to me. I'll post pictures of it when I have a model that works well and looks more like a prototype tool and less embarrassing.

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 05:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To stop boots that will not behave and roll off. Glue them on and then fit clamp.

Also 1/2 wide cable ties are available like the Cops use as temporary hand cuffs.These hold my garden fence panels and are very strong.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, 10 August, 2014 - 09:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those in the UK, Aldi have recently been selling packs of 300 plastic wire ties for £2.99. Although most of them are short and thin, the packs also contain a fair number of much thicker, stronger ones that should stand up to that kind of strain for a long time.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.93
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 06:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought some for general stuff can't go wrong. I get the good ones from Thunderbolts. More you buy the cheaper they are.
Box of cable ties and gaffer tape is a must for diying.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 610
Posted on Monday, 11 August, 2014 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are several universal forces that keep it from simply flying apart instantaneously:

The Nuclear Strong Force which keeps the atomic nucleus tightly bonded

The Nuclear Weak force which holds nearly all the electrons in their orbits, but allows the ones in the outermost shell to move to another atom

Gravity which holds everything orbiting around ... everything else

Gaffa Tape which holds everything together against all the other forces!

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Tuesday, 12 August, 2014 - 04:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Without gaffer tape the world will end I fear.
Did you see the mythbusters gaffer tape sail boat.I was quite impressed. By the look of it it would be ideal for mucking about in the water.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, 12 August, 2014 - 06:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There was a UK TV version where someone (?Tony Robinson?) folded a huge sheet of paper into a man sized paper boat and actually sailed it around a harbour.

For a short while ...

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 05:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I vaguely remember that I think it was Poole Harbour. I love boats but it stands for Bring On Another Thousand. Airy planes are even worse. My boating is strictly blow up dingy in harbour. I borrowed a 5hp Yamaha electric outboard which was really good you get to look at £10m boats that I can't afford. The battery pack lasted 4 hours which is plenty of mucking about on the water for one day.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 08:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A couple of years ago I had a small RIB on a trailer which sported a 4.5hp outboard. As the keel was inflatable it had to be left deflated until it was in the water. Despite the lack of power I could (just) get it up onto 'the plane' as I'm no longer built like a racing snake which gave a considerable rear bias to the boat's weight balance.
Unfortunately it wasn't getting enough use to be of much value to me so I sold it on after less than 18 months of ownership.

If only UK laws could have allowed me to tow it behind my then touring caravan ...

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, 13 August, 2014 - 09:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What the heck is this thread all about,IMO this is bogging.
Have seen all of this in my time and still do.
Cheap incorrect rubber boots fitted with glue and this type of wire clamping only to squash and cut into the incorrect rubber boot causing more expense in the long term.

What in the heck has boats to do with this thread it is beyond beggers belief!
IMO the whole thread should be removed.

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 - 07:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

Wire Clamps are a very good way to do many things. I've known about them for some time and Kelly Opfar inspired me with a good use with this post:Beautiful Steering Column Joint. I built a very useful tool from parts I had lying around and that other folks might also have lying around, so I published my design to share the wealth.

That is what this thread is about.

If these other guys want to talk about boats and gaffer tape, let them; it hurts nobody and it makes them happy.

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 - 08:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those who simply cannot tolerate thread drift, which has existed as long as online forums have, had ought to consider other leisure activities.

For myself, personal experience has taught me that thread drift can often result in serendipitous revelations. Not all tangents are created equal.

Brian

Kelly Opfar
Experienced User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 - 01:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This particular joint is secured by a piece of wire from the factory. Crewe thought it was good enough.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.88
Posted on Thursday, 14 August, 2014 - 08:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry about mission creep. I don't like wire clips because they cut into the rubber. I use SS bands with pinchers and also the key type that rolls the tape up. Sometime with CV boots I have had new ones roll off. I would not use bike inner tune.as a boot because it is not made to take the heat and oil that will be present which is why if you must use a non RR part at least pick on something sensible. In this case, a steering shaft, like a steering rack boot.I do not see the point of the above tool because it is reinventing the wheel. This boot on my car went and I just looked in my rubber bits box and found a boot that was about right and fitted no problems I certainly did not reinvent boot clips because someone already has.
Hence the mission creep when the gaffer tape turned up. Now. Making stuff from gaffer tape is interesting because when gravity fails we will need all the gaffer tape engineers we can get.