Accumulator Support Bracket Fasteners Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Accumulator Support Bracket Fasteners « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 01:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I lost the two nuts which attach the charging valve cap to the aluminum support bracket. Does anyone know offhand what type of hex nut this is? I thought it might be a 7/16 SAE (i.e. fine) thread, but alas! no.
I managed to hang on to the thick washers at least.
I just paid better than $16 US each for the two long bolts which hold the warning tag on the steam valve cover, so I am forced to begin to economize where possible...

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 02:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy,

I will measure mine when I get home tonight and tell you what I learn. I just so happen to have them immediately available. (-:

If you think you have the wrong nut because it threads on almost completely but then exhibits a lot of resistance at about 6 or 8 revolutions, the you may be dealing with Whitworth threads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth). This design uses the same UNF thread pitch and gauge as everything else you have, but has a different thread profile. A Whitworth thread has round peaks and valleys, where most of what you have lying around will be pointy. This means that, worst case, you can get a die with the same UNF gauge and thread pitch and cut the valleys "pointy" so a standard nut will fit.

For your consideration,

Chris.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 06:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The nut I tried (7/16 SAE fine) would not even start. Most of Her bolts/nuts have been SAE; a few of the smaller ones, like on accessories, have been BA. I am aware of Whitworth, et al, but I did not know there were any on a Shadow.
It just occurred to me: it might be metric, as this system was licensed from Citroen.
At any rate, I hesitate to order them from the dealer due to the cost and the postage required.
Thanks!

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 06:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Randy,

The threads on that check valve cap post are 1/4"-28.

I went fishing through my tubs of hardware and among the literally hundreds of 1/4"-20 nuts, I found a couple of 1/4"-28. I tested them on my check valve cap threaded posts from the '72 and they are correct.

Now that you know this, you can probably find them locally, but if not, send me your address, and I'll mail them to you.

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 922
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 06:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

1/4"-28 TPI is ringing a bell with me, too. If you want these they're dirt common. I can pick them up in regular and stainless down the street at my local True Value hardware store.

Brian

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 07:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The bracket is not to stop the accumulators from loosening.
Think vibration.

I when I look see two spheres dangling unsupported bolted to a vibrating mass wobbling side to side at high frequency.

Hence the bracket.

I am not vib engineer and don't know what I am talking about.

It has been 18 years but I think the thread is 1/4 UNF

20 tpi is maybe 1/4 UNC

1/4 UNF is used a lot on the shadow.
£5 for 50 at screwfix or thunderbolts

(Message approved by david_gore)

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 09:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, everyone!
RR

Randy Roberson
Prolific User

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update: it was indeed 1/4-28, and that was the nut I was trying to start, with no success. After you confirmed the size, and I was confident I was not doing grave damage, I was able to use a 1/4-28 die and chase the threads on the front cap, and afterward got the nut and washer on fine. I will have to get Her in the air to access the rear cap with the die, but I am on the way now.
Buggered threads, the result of jostling during shipment I suppose.
Thanks again!