I can identify 5 of these 7 pieces. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » I can identify 5 of these 7 pieces. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2014 - 02:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

This is the ACV rebuild kit from Flying Spares (RH2435P) and I can identify the use for five of the seven components pictured. What is the use of the other two?

Flying Spares ACV Rebuild Kit (RH2435()

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2014 - 03:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

Download the RR/Bentley Brake/Hydraulic System Kits document I maintain and that may help as far as the seals go. I try to make notes on what each and every item is supposed to be for if I've used it or had someone who has tell me what it's for. Crewe modified designs along the way and the kits are often set up to "cover all types" so you end up not using some of the contents. My guess is the seal that you have circled is the one that goes on the sealing plug that's just under the end plug. There are 5 EPDM O-rings included and all are used except, possibly, the ACV to accumulator seal. If you are working on both the accumulator and ACV and bought both kits, each kit includes that seal so one will not be used.

Here is an annotated photo of the entire ACV in what amounts to an exploded view. I think this was from LRK37110, but it may have been SRH33576, both of which are SY2 series cars. The thing that's circled at the upper right in your picture is a wave washer/spring washer. This is not used in the ACV style that's on my cars and if it's not in your SY1 version my guess is it's for early SY ACVs. There is one mistake in the annotations where I say two parts with fluon rings. There is a single fluon ring on the piston & sealing ring and a tiny fluon tip on the end of the non-return valve where it seats.

ACV Parts Annotated

Brian

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2014 - 03:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

I am guessing, based on the picture, that the small o-ring I can't (couldn't) identify goes on the sealing plug. Where does the crinkle washer go, or is the crinkle washer the same as your crush washer?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 909
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2014 - 04:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

No, a wave/spring washer is not the same as a crush washer. Crush washers are never wavy and create a seal between two other metal surfaces when they're "crushed." A wave washer is, as the name implies, wavy and is used to create a bit of a deflection off of a flat surface in tight spaces. I guess, based on its usual function, it might have been employed in the same way as the seating washer/adjusting washer stack, but that's just a guess.

If your ACV did not include a wave washer as part of its original innards then you don't use it at all. Clearly, many did not. The photo of an ACV in pieces posted by Jim Walters on a thread you started that's entitled, Accumulator/Charging Valves Bench Testing shows another that has no wave washer.

You can see the closeups of all the ACV parts that were in the ones I've rebuilt in this thread, entitled, Accumulator Control Valve (ACV) - Exploded View Photos.

I haven't the vaguest idea of what that wave washer was for since I've never dealt with an ACV that had one.

Brian