Fuse changing? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Fuse changing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeremy Rogers
Yet to post message
Username: jeremy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2014 - 01:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello to all,

I recently blew Fuse 1 in the Fusebox (Interior lights etc.) and did the obvious and applied fresh wire to the fuse.

On this topic, I have a couple of questions;

1. What exactly is it that I would have to order in the event I run out of the replacement fuse wire and where can it be purchased?

2. Is there any known way of converting the old style fuse system to fit the more modern automotive fuses we find in most cars (coloured perspex often branded with the amperage it can handle)?

Cheers,
Jeremy.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2014 - 02:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jeremy

The handbook states "one strand of No. 30 SWG (0.0124 in. diameter) tinned copper wire of 22 amp rating. Any good electrical supplier should be able to supply a small reel of this wire.

I do not know the answer to question 2.

Geoff

Jeremy Rogers
New User
Username: jeremy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2014 - 03:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for clearing that up Geoff!

I don't plan on blowing fuses too often but with owning my shadow for just over a week now and having blown a fuse already, it's good to know what I'm dealing with

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2014 - 05:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jeremy.

Welcome to the forum and to Silver Shadow ownership I wish you well with your purchase.

Richard.

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2014 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a discussion about Silver Shadow fuses here:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/958.html

There is a lot of conflicting information on that page. RR specifies 30swg for these fuses, but if you look at electrical tables 30swg is only rated at 8A, and I found that 30swg tinned copper wire was no longer easily available.

Other members have recommended 22swg wire, but this is too thick to fit properly in the grooves in the fuse holders, so is clearly too heavy.

I use 25swg, which seems to be the thinnest tinned copper wire that is readily available, and it fits the fuse holders, and it is rated at 15A.

I know that is less than the 22A specified by RR, but the wire is slightly thicker than that specified by RR, so go figure!

I think RR was using a special type of wire when they specified 30swg wire for 22 amps!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 442
Posted on Sunday, 13 July, 2014 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jeremy

Welcome to the forum and to RR ownership.

In case you don't already know, the RR Owners Club of Australia have very kindly allowed access to their extensive technical library. This includes copies of the workshop manuals. The technical library can be found here

http://rrtechnical.info/

Note that near the top left of this page is a pointer to Tee-One topics. This is a large collection of articles on maintaining these cars, written and compiled by Bill Coburn. There is an index page included for easy access to information on any project you may be planning.

Geoff

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Monday, 14 July, 2014 - 06:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Domestic fuse wire is that same stuff in UK it comes in 5 15 and 30 amp for the old star system of wiring

Glass fuses can be repaired by soldering either on outside or neatly threading the wire through the middle

To get accurate ratings use cross section area of wire and look in an electrical engineers hand book

A strand or strands remember cross sectional area bit stripped from discarded wire will do the job

I tend to go less I have many times put a smaller fuse in

Amps equals watts divided by volts

Eg indicators 2 x 21 watts 42 watts divided by 12 call it 4 amps
5 amp fuse will do the job

The fuse box fitted is of good quality and very repairable and cheap fuses

Some of the fuses in my jeep cost over £2

(Message approved by david_gore)