Steering wheel position Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Steering wheel position « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 06:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

When I recently reconnected the steering "joint" to the gearbox, I was surprised to learn that there was a flat spot and I could only connect one way. In spite of that, I think I am off one spline from its pre-disconnected position, because I marked it, and the current position does not agree with my mark. Could my mark be off? Have I made silly mistakes like that? Sure... But I was unable with even valiant effort to reattach to where I think is the correct position.

So, now I'm driving with my steering wheel about fifteen degrees off, and my raging OCD is causing me to drift into the right hand lane and other drivers are honking at me, so it is all quite unpleasant. I need to fix this. How do I adjust the rotation of the steering wheel, assuming that I can't do this at the gear box? (Believe me, I tried! That OCD that I'm talking about really, really wanted me to honor my original position mark)

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.71
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 07:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the indicators cancel symmetrically either side of dead a head then the actual steering wheel is on the wrong splines

Why was the shaft bent

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris. To adjust the steering wheel.

1-Remove the little rubber croissant between the steering cowling and the dash - just pull it off - it won't break.
Carefully remove the bakelite cowling from the column. There are 6 screws; 4 visible and 2 hidden in holes underneath. Notice that the 2 rear visible screws are shorter than the front 2 and keep them separate.

2-There are 2 bolts holding the metal gear lever positioning bit in place. Undo them.

3-You can now access the 3 nuts which hold the steering wheel on at the back of the centre - from memory a 7/16ths spanner is needed.

4-Gently remove the horn button. There is a purple wire attached to it with a bullet terminal which needs to come out of its socket at the back of the button.

5-Remove the large nut now visible and carefully scribe the the position of the wheel on its spline then remove.

6-try moving it one (or maximum 2) notches in the desired direction and then re-assemble.

7- When re-attaching the steering cowling make sure the wires aren't fouling;the gear change wires go towards the top of the metal plate not alongside it.

Start each screw and tighten each by rotation a little as a time. Never apply force and keep checking the wiring - these cowlings are easy to break if you overtighten one screw or put too much pressure on it. If it won't close keep checking it's in the right position.

There are no short cuts - if the steering wheel is still not aligned when you test drive it you have to do it all again - one notch at a time. It gets easier each time you do it once you know how it's all put together. About a 20 minute job. Good luck. Jeff