So, I was looking around under the ho... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » So, I was looking around under the hood, and I found one of these... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 03:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

Who knows what this thing is? You'll notice that the belt is gone, so whatever it is doesn't seem to be necessary to operation.

Mystery Component

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 06:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe it's the air injection pump ("smog" pump) for the exhaust gas recirculation system.

I can't say definitively since it's slightly different than the one on the SY2 cars, but the position and hoses make me think it is. It the two hoses terminate at a set of pipes that look somewhat like an oversized 4-tine pitchfork that themselves terminate near each spark plug then that's what it is.

Unless it's frozen I'd try to get it hooked up again and replace both check valves (that is if it's the pump I think it is).

Brian

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 06:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

My observations square with your description exactly. I am absolutely going to put it back to work. Is there a lubrication well associated with it? Where are these check valves of which you speak?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 06:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

I'm saying this not to be snarky, but because I don't know the answer for your car but know where it is.

Please look at Chapter U - Emissions Control (not sure which subsection) and the EGR system in the Engine section of the Illustrated Parts Catalog on the page that's pertinent to the chassis number that you own.

Brian

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 06:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

Anybody who would accuse you of being snarky doesn't know the meaning of the word. You are to "snarky" what Rolls Royce is to Roller Skate. :-)

Thanks for the help, and I will read that section to find out what I need to know.

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.72
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris

From the questions you ask I would suggest that you make full use of the workshop manual

There are gaps which this forum can usually fill in

Even after 25 years of ownership before I fix I refer to the manual over a cup of tea

Polish your engine bits with engine oil and replace those hose clip with stainless ones

(Message approved by david_gore)

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 02:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I second Bob's recommendation!!

People often ask, "How do you know that?!!," in one form or another and virtually every time I can answer, "I found it in the Workshop Manual, Illustrated Parts Catalog or, most often, using both."

Sometimes the real trick is knowing what Crewe called something. This goes well beyond "two countries separated by a common language" and into getting familiar with Crewe jargon. Once you've reached the point where you know even half of it finding what you're looking for becomes much easier.

My only caution is that the Workshop Manual has a tendency to make things seem much more complicated than they are because it goes through procedures in minute detail (and that's not a criticism). Once I realized this it became much less intimidating. It also occasionally overcomplicates things, like the brake/hydraulic system bleeding procedure, so if something really seems to be grossly convoluted it always pays to ask what way or ways those who've "been there, done that" may have to say about alternate techniques, tools, etc.

Brian

Bob Reynolds
Prolific User
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 04:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It can also make things seem much simpler than they are. For instance, when it says:

2. Remove the air conditioning equipment (refer to Chapter C)

It doesn't mention that Chapter C is 95 pages long!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 887
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2014 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Reynolds,

That, unfortunately, I'm used to in any number of service manuals. It always reminds me of this old Sidney Harris cartoon:

Sidney Harris - Then, A Miracle Occurs

Brian

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2014 - 02:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob UK,

> Polish your engine bits with engine oil and replace
> those hose clip with stainless ones

Sir! Yes, Sir! (-:

Today, I have 20 post-accumulator-rebuild miles on the '72 and I will spend this morning "surveying" all the gadgets to see which ones work and which ones don't. There is already a long informal list of projects that I need to complete before I worry about cosmetics -- A/C, valve cover leak, new sound system... You get the idea. The '71 is going to be the show car; the '72 will remain my daily driver. It will reach a acceptable level of defects and then I expect that I will spend more and more time on cosmetics, so when I show it off, it will be representative.

I expect that at some point my raging OCD will require a comprehensive overhaul of clips and hoses. I'll probably have to paint different parts with some sort of color code... (-:

Keep the standards up!

I have the two shadows, (three, actually, if you count the '66 which is parts.) and I have only had them for about a year, so in spite of the level of my first project, rebuilding the accumulators on the '72, which I think was a particularly optimistic starting place, I am still quite a novice. I do read the manuals, but why would I ignore the wisdom and experience available from you-lot? I ask questions, even if I think I know the answer, for a few reasons, not the least of which is that my current understanding could be wrong. Additionally, the manuals don't reveal the benefits of experience like someone that has already done something. The manuals are over 40 years old and we have collectively learned a lot since then. Finally, talking about my projects is just part of my "process"; it helps me organize the steps in my mind, it keeps me encouraged and enthusiastic, and it allows me to feel like I have friends.

So, I do read them, but I start from the premise that I don't understand them, and someone here knows far more than I do. Like, you, for instance.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Bob uk-
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.91
Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2014 - 06:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I try to explain things so that the penny drops with the reader

The best way to understand how it works is to mentally separate the bit into small logical steps and the penny drops

All systems are small logical bits multiplied

Eg wiring.

A switch turns on and something happens at the other end

Lots of switchs and other ends and one gets a RR electrical system

(Message approved by david_gore)