Power Steering Fluid Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Power Steering Fluid « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 04:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I went to top off my power steering reservoir and I over filled it, so I emptied the excess only to discover that the previous maintainer had put transmission fluid there. Is there some reason that I shouldn't continue this practice?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 07:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Chris,

Transmission fluid = Power Steering fluid on a Shadow, Cloud or Spirit.

What did you use?

Cheers, Paul.

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 07:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

I bought "Power Steering Fluid". Apparenlty the world of power steering fluid is divided into "Honda" and "Non-Honda", so I picked "Non-Honda". I understand that there is no reason not to continue to use transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir.

Thanks very much for the help,

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 07:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a lovely world your supplier lives in :-)

ATF is usually more expensive than PSF because of it's higher spec. They should both be cherry red coloured. Well , over here at least.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 07:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Use same as gearbox

However some other makes that use the same power steering pump use engine oil which suggests that any mineral hydraulic type oil of approximately 30 weight could be used

But then the rack or box which are RR specific May not be tolerant

I have always wondered about auto oil because it contains additives to enhance the friction of clutches and bands in the gearbox

RR know best so use gbox oil

Chapter D refer to

An aside bit of car tech

The fitting of power steering to small cars may at first sight seem not necessary

Power steering is a safety feature as well

Say the car hits a pothole

The kick through the steering will cause the control valve to open and send oil to stop the worst of the kick and not break your thumb

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 08:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I am SO sensitive now to the chemistry of fluids and seals that I take nothing for granted. This was never the case before I owned "Icarus" (SRX 10792) and his younger brother, yet unnamed (SRH 13161). When I saw the color of the fluid in the power steering reservoir and smelled it, I knew it was ATF, but it occurred to me that this might not be bad and you have confirmed it. I don't need a jug of PS fluid because I already have a jug of ATF. Simpler is better.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's all very small in importance, but as Bob points out Dexron ATF is by definition a poor but expedient choice by Saginaw. Never an issue, Dexron has endured despite being a poor choice of the required 10-grade mineral oil. The fact that most manufacturers recommend Dexron/ATF is purely historic as the composition of the fluid is almost irrelevant so long as it is a thin-ish mineral oil.

LHM is a better choice as it has no friction enhancer, and generic steering fluid is basically red aircraft hydraulic fluid. Red aircraft hydraulic fluid is probably the best choice and by far the cheapest. However, steering box and steering rack problems don’t seem to be related of fluid issues.

I use Dexron. Convenient. No fuss. It does the job, and its inherent drawback has proven a negligible issue on billions of cars that use ATF simply for convenience.

RT.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.88
Posted on Thursday, 10 July, 2014 - 06:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guess it is a convenience choice

To save a plethora of lubs

Skydrol red mineral oil is good gear because it has a seal additive that keeps the seals supple

However I dislike guessing because I have seen some muck ups in the past

So chapter D saves guessing

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Wednesday, 09 July, 2014 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris

It is very easy to get bogged down in tech specs of various fluids or oils

The person who brought your car new was probably not interested in the tech stuff

RR and oil companies went to great lengths to ensure that the lubs were correct and freely available worldwide

None of the lubs except RR363 are special

Follow the lub chart in chapter D

Remember these are over engineered and understressed cars

Modern lubs are of a better quality

I use castrol because I have a stockist 1 mile away

She keeps an extensive range and keeps tech sheets

I stick the stuff in and forget about it

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, 11 July, 2014 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,

I've only gotten bogged down in fluid specs to the extent that there are obvious mistakes to avoid -- brake fluid/mineral oil, for example.

I don't know anything about the power steering hydraulics, yet, and based on that alone it makes sense that there would be little difference between power steering the automatic transmission, so ATF would seem to work fine. But this realization only comes to me after I discovered ATF where it surprised me in the power steering reservoir, which could have been a mistake by an earlier maintainer. You-all assure me that it is not, and that is good news indeed. One fluid instead of two is a "simplification win" in my view.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.