Steering column joint Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Steering column joint « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Prolific User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2014 - 05:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I don't know what this thing is called, but it connects the steering column to the power steering -- well, let's say rack and pinion, because I don't know what it is called, either.

steering column joint

In any case, I had to remove mine and while it was out, I replaced the rubber boot, which seems to fail on all of them. I used a motorcycle inner tube and it works really well.

I'm posting this to ask if the bend is normal. I see no evidence of trauma or abuse, and since it is an axial component, it makes no sense to me that there should be a radial offset in it, but there is no question that there is an offset of about 3/4".

Assuming this is not correct, and knowing that this will not effect its operation, should I fix it or leave it?

Assuming this is correct, why?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2014 - 05:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

looks bent to me I'm afraid.

Get a used one.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.90
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2014 - 07:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes it does look bent

It looks like a steering box

Also steering rack boots fit I used a Rover Metro one

I did it in situ by disconnecting the box end took no time at all

As is my usual practice lots of grease and oil on anything that moves

How it got bent is a mystery because it is not a stick of liquorice

If it is bent because the load is light it could straightened using heat dull cherry red slow quench check local regulations

UK regs undefined about bent bits being straightened out

Black paint looks nice on steering bits exterior enamel gloss will do

Black cable ties look nicer

Sort of part that rarely fails so it might be cheap flying spares

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2014 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree a black cable tie would be better. In this case the inner tube is folded back to allow me to attach to the steering box and once complete, that attachment and the cable tie you see will be covered by the inner tube, so the color shouldn't matter.

I rotated the shaft in a jig and I could easily see where the bend was, so I just straightened it. I doubt it is perfectly straight, but it is much improved, and I can no longer see any bend. It took serious leverage... This part is attached to the steering column with a thick rubber block, and by some sort of primitive CV joint at the other end, so offsets and deformities are forgiven by design. I have driven the '72 about 100 miles and I never detected any non-uniformity in the steering, so I think I have only improved an already a pretty minimal problem.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Kelly Opfar
Experienced User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2014 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The boot is still available for a not-very dear price of around $30USD. Don't make the mistake of buying the "wire clamp" to attach the boot though. Albers told me they could only order quantities of 10 and they turned out to be individually packaged lengths of carbon wire cut off a roll. It had been so long since I removed my old clips that I forgot what they were. I threw away the Bentley packaged wires and used stainless wire.
The ridiculous piece is the small u-joint. A genuine Bentley part is priced somewhere on the order of $700USD. I bought a stainless Flaming River joint from Summit Racing and made new stainless arms instead.
steering joint

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2014 - 06:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

tidy :-)

as they say in Wales.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2014 - 06:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And proper job as they in Dorset

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Miller
Prolific User

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, 08 July, 2014 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kelly,

Wow! I aspire to the level of work quality your picture shows. Nice job!

Chris.