GM Turbo 400 Transmission Information Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » GM Turbo 400 Transmission Information « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, 17 September, 2004 - 07:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is an excellent publication:

“How to Work With and Modify the Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 Transmission”, by Ron Sessions.

I have been using the book for many years. It is applicable to all 3-speed Shadows and Spirits etc. I find it far more practical and useful than the normal Crewe workshop manual which waffles on about many unimportant things. Session's book even lists our transmissions and codes. The Crewe workshop manual is useful as a reference when it comes to R-R specifics (very few if any apart from the modulator part number), but Ron Session's book is really excellent as the primary reference. As you know, transmission spares are available at any transmission shop or Holden dealer.

I bought my copy at Motorbooks Australia in Military Road, Cremorne, Sydney, maybe now MOTORBOOKS AUSTRALIA, 2, Majura Cl St Ives 2075 (02) 9144 4799.

Should you wish to explore the machinations of the THM400, have a look !

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, 17 September, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I also have this book and found it invaluable when I rebuilt the transmision on DRH14434.

I also suggest the user's guide supplied by B & M with their transmission overhaul kits is a "must have" item as it covers various "trick modifications" to the transmission. Given the known poor clutch plate life for R-R/B versions due to the amount of clutch slip allowed during gear changes; I did their "road/strip" modification which allowed instantaneous clutch lock-up during changes but this was at the expense of smoothness in gear changes at anything above gentle throttle openings - the gear changes are perceptible however I was prepared to tolerate this as I regarded the Corniche as being a "driver's car" rather than a gentleman's "town carriage".

(Message edited by david_gore on September 21, 2004)

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.115
Posted on Monday, 20 September, 2004 - 07:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes...indeed an excellent ref.book (which I aquired when initially released) believing that I may have already alluded to it (in this forum) possibly in connection with the "GM" conversion topic. At last count, I think I had six used R-R TH-400s (and a "R-R/GM" 4 speeder ex a 67 Shadow)and when someome wants to buy one (theirs usually having a cracked case) I always obtain immense satisfaction by quoting Rons book when I am "told" .. "Itz ownlee a Shevvie" (or worse) "a Holl-dunn", as they attempt to buy at local "Joes" wreckers price/s. Also of interest are the various U.S produced, "How-To" videos, which take you through the rebuild of popular auto. transmissions such as the venerable TH-400 unit. With the book by Ron Sessions and perhaps a video, any reasonably competent "D.I.Yer" will realize that you dont have to be a genuius to rebuild your transmission. When autos first came here in any number (early 60s) I was terrified of them, however, with labour rates as low as they now are (at least where I am) I would rather pay a pro. to do it while I play golf or similar. Love the TH-400, but I have to say the "ZF" 4 speed, in the Range Rover is absolutely seamless, but I guess its unfair to compare with a 40+ y.o design, notwithstanding its own development over the years. In my opinion, the TH-400 will always be regarded as one of the best transmissions ever built.

(Message approved by david_gore)