Plated Coolant, Fuel Piping Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Plated Coolant, Fuel Piping « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, 13 June, 2014 - 01:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, on the Silver Shadow (1970) what is the appropriate plating on the hard lines for the coolant to and from the heater, as well as the smaller piping on the carburetor system? Mine could certainly use a replate.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Friday, 13 June, 2014 - 08:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For fuel stuff ask a carb reconditioner

My water pipes are satin black I guess the same as radiators

Shadows are not all the same so minor details are unimportant just make it look good

Unless you are building a show winner

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, 14 June, 2014 - 09:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Avoid chrome like the plague! Apart from looking tacky it's actually slightly porous so that water can get under it to allow it to lift which will make it look even worse. Nickel can be just as shiny at first until it 'settles down. Zinc is better as it's less shiny from the off and tends to stay that way. Straight copper finish is fine and can be 'refurbished' with a regular spray with a warm solution of citric acid followed by a good rinse in clean water.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, 15 June, 2014 - 03:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No chrome, it would obviously be inappropriate. My Car has some piping under-bonnet which is obviously plated with something: I think it is nickel. These include: the hard pipes for the brake pumps' high pressure output; the float bowl vent piping; the coolant piping to/from the heater. I cleaned these up with 0000 steel wool and they look much better, so I will go with this until I know more.