Fixing cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Fixing cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.86
Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 - 07:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been fixing cars for 50 years

I have been on lots of factory courses for learning and.teaching

Rolls-Royces are cars

They obey the various laws of physics like any device

My shadow when the various systems are analyzed they are simple

Just rather a lot of bits really

The shadow because it was the first of the line was tested more than any car since because Rolls-Royce knew that if the shadow failed then it was game over for Rolls-Royce

So when repairing them do it by the manual which how the RR agents do it

However because the car was not designed to be 33 plus years old
It is necessary to use general engineering knowledge which RR does not write in the manual because ROLLS-ROYCE naturally assume mechanics to have learnt the skills

Rolls-Royce once said it is only a car

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Grieve
Experienced User
Username: john116

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 - 05:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very true! For all the mystique around Rolls Royce motor cars, once I actually owned one, much of the mystique went. They are just a car. A complex one, and very nice to look at, but indeed, just a car, with the same problems 30+ year old cars have, no matter what their pedigree.

Having said that, I still love them, and owning one is a privilege. But parts wear, brake and get old, just like any other car. However, if that didn't happen, I'm not sure what I'd do on my weekends!

John

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, 12 June, 2014 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Shadow is the oldest car in my 'fleet' which also includes a diesel powered motor home (Perkins model 4.236), a '92 Rover 216 Cabrio and an '02 MG ZR 105.
Only the MG is at the limit of my ability to fix due to the over reliance on computing technology. Even with an OBDII reader the error code descriptions are so vague as to be of little indication of the actual cause of its problems. It doesn't help that the spark plugs are buried so deep into the cylinder head that I can't get in with an ordinary compression tester or 'ColourTune' replacement diagnostic plug. Just the coil packs make it difficult (?impossible?) to monitor the rpm with my exhaust gas analyzer.
Give me the 'old way' of doing things I'm fine, but this kind of stuff just 'does me 'ed in'!

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Friday, 13 June, 2014 - 08:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recently my jeep lost a cylinder and it drove me to nearly scrap it
Eventually I found a broken wire inside the loom

The shame of jeep is that the 6 cylinder petrol engine is good but the rest is awful

(Message approved by david_gore)