Heater Fan Resistors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Heater Fan Resistors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Puttock
Experienced User
Username: ariel

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, 31 May, 2014 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Shadow 1 heater fans use three heavy duty wire resistors on round ceramic discs to control the voltage on the motors. When dismantling I did not realise that they were of different values.
By measurement they appear to be 0.7ohm, 1.0ohm and 1.7ohm. Obviously at slowest speed all three are in series and at higher speeds 2,1 or no resistors are in use.
Problem, what order should they be in for correct speed stepping?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, 01 June, 2014 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Early Shadow 1's used two resistors A and B and the switch selected A or B or A+B to reduce the motor speed.
Later a simplified circuit used three resistors progressively switched in series. This would also allow lower wattage resistors to be used though I don't know if this was a reason.
To drop the motor speed the series resistors should be added in value order, that is the lowest value first.
So the 0.7 ohm resistor will provide 20% of the total voltage drop, 0.7 + 1.0 will provide 50% and 0.7 +1.0 +1.7 will give 100%.
This type of speed reduction is very inefficient and Pulse Width Modulation is now generally used to control DC motor speed (as amusingly referred to in another thread)