Replacing the Carb Fuel Filters in Ph... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Replacing the Carb Fuel Filters in Photos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 846
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 01:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did both sides today. It's a simple process and the right side one is an absolute cinch. The left side one requires the removal of the vacuum line coming out from the weakener solenoid that continues over to the right side carb as well as loosening both the anti-dieseling and weakener solenoids.

I'll show the steps for the right side pretty much in their entirety.

Before Touching Anything
Right Carb Filter Housing - As Is

Remove Top Screws
Remove Top Screws

Slightly Loosen Bracket Nut
The bracket partially covers the outermost edge of the carb cover disc, so it needs to be loosened enough to allow you to pull the carb cover disc out. This nut is not easy to access, although it looks like it should be.
Bracket Nut Loosened

Thread in a Puller Bolt
Puller Bolt in Place

Firmly, but gently, pull carb cover disc
There is a spring underneath, so expect it. This spring presses down on a cap bracket that goes over the closed end of the fuel filter. The open end points down. It was much easier for me to use a set of thoroughly wiped-down needle nose pliers to grab the filter and cap bracket and lift them out.
Carb Cover Off

After the filter was out I carefully wiped around the upper edges of the housing opening with a paper towel moistened with fuel. This allowed me to get dirt off from around the lip without dropping it into the housing or pushing it there when putting the cap back on.

Old Filter
Old Filter Side & Base
For all I know this might be original
Old Filter Top

NAPA Gold 3051 Replacement Filter
NAPA Gold 3051 Top & Side

NAPA Gold 3051 Top

NAPA Gold 3051 w/base seal & spring still in place

Base seal/spring assembly after pulling it out with my fingers before using it in the car
Base Seal & Spring after removal

Left Side, Quickly
Much dirtier on the exterior. I cleaned things up a bit before popping the carb cover disc off
Left Side Carb Housing - Dirty

Left Side Carb Housing - Cleaned up a bit

I imagine that one should replace the seals on carb cover discs, but I didn't have any handy at the moment in Buna-Nitrile or any other suitable material. The existing ones are not leaking (at least not yet). I didn't want to pull these off to try to measure them and didn't think to get the outer diameter of the carb cover disc which would have allowed me to pretty easily determine the correct AS568 size.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 01:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

beautifully captured Brian.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 02:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thanks.

I did realize upon rereading that, Base seal/spring assembly after pulling it out with my fingers before using it in the car, makes it appear that the "it" being referenced is the base seal/spring assembly, but it isn't. You pop that out of the filter so that you have the open end on the filter that faces downward upon installation. That assembly is then discarded.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, 30 May, 2014 - 01:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian. I like these "Haynes" style entries. Also the relevant title so it can be easily found using the forum search option.

BTW When using search, the default parameters are "or" and "Parts of Words". It seems to me "and" and "whole words only" would be a much better choice. I have thought of putting a request in the suggestions box. Does anyone have any preferences?

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, 30 May, 2014 - 01:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I routinely change the search parameters to "and" and "whole words only."

As a veteran searcher I know how I want to narrow a search to get what I want. I could live with the "or" though to me that's not preferable. But the "parts of words" routinely causes search results to be returned that I can't imagine that any searcher would typically want.

I try to create very specific titles for precisely the reason you mention. That's also why I often break things out into a new thread when I think it will be easier for searching later and making reference to other threads within the new thread if they have relevance to it in some meaningful way.

Brian, who genuinely believes "a picture is worth a thousand words"

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 415
Posted on Friday, 30 May, 2014 - 02:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

I think you misread my entry. The default search parameter is "or" and not "and". I was confused by your statement "I could live with the "or" though to me that's not preferable." implying I wanted to request a change to "or". This is not the case, my request would be for the default "or" to be changed to "and".

Geoff

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, 30 May, 2014 - 04:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

No, I understood exactly what you were saying.

I was simply commenting that I could live with the "or". I definitely think and coupled with whole words is what makes the most sense as a default. Whether that's tweakable or not to change the defaults I do not know. Consider me as seconding your motion if you put the request in!!

Even most web search engines default to "or" unless you use the plus + operator to insist that a given term be present. Even enclosing a phrase in quotes will not guarantee its presence in search results when paired with other search terms unless the plus operator is used. I won't even get in to the raft of logical operators that are available and, when needed, quite handy. I don't know that there are any of the equivalents for a forums search.

Brian