Cv boot Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Cv boot « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, 27 May, 2014 - 06:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, about 6 months ago if memory is correct someone renewed the cv boot to final drive. I would be obliged if someone might point me to this forum.
Many thanks
HK

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Tuesday, 27 May, 2014 - 07:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert,

Is this thread the one you were looking for?

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/14074.html

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, 27 May, 2014 - 08:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

tip. stretch boots. look for them. :-)

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.82
Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 - 05:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Go to workshop manual

This is not a hard job and is easier than most front wheelection drive cars

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, 28 May, 2014 - 08:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had to take mine off a couple of years ago and as best I recall it was just a matter of lubricating the inner lip while keeping the oil off the outside and your hands and simultaneously stretching the boot to persuade it onto its seat again. Then all you need to do is hold it in position with both hands while using a third hand to get the retainer into position and your fourth hand to tighten it!
Nothing to it ...

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 07:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have done a couple of these using advice received from Paul Yorke soak in really hot water lubricate with washing up liquid and help it on with a strong screw driver its not too hard to do.

Richard.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 08:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, David, Paul, Bob, Jan, Richard thanks so much for input.The Boot is in post so Ill report back on progress within 7 days hopefully.
Many thanks
HK

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 844
Posted on Thursday, 29 May, 2014 - 08:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert,

Here are two different articles documenting approaches to changing the Detroit/trunnion joint or CV Boot. One is by Colin Gurnsey and I don't know who I got the other from.

application/pdfChanging the Detroit Joint Boot
Replacing_the_Half-Shaft_Trunnion_Boots.pdf (44.3 k)

application/pdfDetroit Joint Boot Changing Tool
Detroit boot tool.pdf (35.4 k)

Brian

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, 02 June, 2014 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, can I put a question to you? . In replacing the detroit cv boot, did you leave the final drive on the car,.. ie. disconnecting the half shaft outer end and the hardy spicer universal assembly as in http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/10.pdf chapter j page 14?. Thanks in advance.
Hi Brian thanks for such a detailed description of how one can replace the cv boot .
Many thanks
Hubert Kelly

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, 02 June, 2014 - 08:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi Hubert I removed the drive shaft at the hardy spicer and removed the trunnion from the coupling with care making sure you don't lose any of the roller pins if you pack the pins with some grease and leave them safe until you are ready to reassemble the shaft if you rotate the diff round until the coupler is running horizontal it will make it so much easier feel free to PM me for my phone details.

Richard.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, 02 June, 2014 - 08:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, thanks so much for getting back to me, I understand the way you have you renewed the boot now. Ill try same with fingers crossed tomorrow.. hopefully all will go well.
Many thanks
Hubert Kelly

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, 02 June, 2014 - 08:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert don't forget to fill the coupling with 80/90 gear oil to the proper level after you have your new boot fitted good luck.

Richard.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, 03 June, 2014 - 07:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, thanks to everyone for your valued advice. New C.V.boot fitted today. Thanks for getting back to me so promptly last night Richard. I took your advice re hot water etc. worked a treat.
Thank you all..
Hubert Kelly

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 855
Posted on Tuesday, 03 June, 2014 - 08:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert,

So, what technique did you use for getting the thing on? There seem to be several popular ones and I'm always curious about "what worked" and what issue(s) may have been encountered.

Brian

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, 03 June, 2014 - 09:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian, thanks for your advice. This is how it panned out.
1. I removed the entire half shaft from car(having marked location it was in)

2.I removed the Trunnion button,Adjusting washer, Needle roller race,Needle rollers. I marker the shaft so I knew which was from left and right hand side.
3. Removed old boot without cutting it completely to give me a guide as to how it might be removed
4.Placed the narrow end of boot into hot water, lubricated the Trunnion pin ,Half-shaft knuckle end.
5. Removed boot from hot water placed it over one side of the trunnion pin, then using a tool I have no name for(it like a pry bar?) approx a foot in length with a approx 45 degree turn of about 2 inches to the end and half inch wide.
6 I placed this tool inside the boot angled the 45 degree part dead center of the opposite side of trunnion pin, with one down ward movement the boot envelops the pin and knuckle.
7 dried the boot
8 cleaned the shaft
9 replaced needle roller race, needle rollers etc
10 lined up the the trunnion joint to the drive
11 secured the hardy spicer universal assembly (torqued when fully finished)
12 Adjusted car and jack so shaft was as close to horizontal.
13 offered up the wide side of the cv boot to the unit(easiest was put it on the lower part of unit first and at same time rotate hub, then manipulate boot unto remainder of unit
14 apply clips
15 150 cc gear oil
16 checked oil level other side
17 Tea break
Time line approx .approx 2 hours taking my time!

richard george yeaman
Prolific User

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, 03 June, 2014 - 09:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Hubert two hours well spent and a well deserved cup of tea.

Richard.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 856
Posted on Tuesday, 03 June, 2014 - 09:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert,

Thanks for the detailed step-by-step!! Congrats on a job well done and done in what I consider to be a very reasonable time frame. I can tell you it will take me much longer!!

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, 03 June, 2014 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info Hubert - always useful.

Geoff