Gasket best practice Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Gasket best practice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Frequent User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 - 04:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I have to fix a leak from the valve covers. I haven't removed the covers yet, so I have no idea what I will find. In any case, I'm pretty sure that I want to use a gasket goop to augment any gasket, if I use a gasket at all.

I've already been admonished not to use silicone, because you can put it on, but you can't get it off, and it may glue parts together that I need to separate later. Unfortunately, Permatex Blue, Grey, and Black are all I find, and they are all silicone.

I need recommendations for "Gasket best practice".

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.80
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 - 07:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use evo stick

Glue the gaskets to rocker cover and grease the otherside

Torque bolts down!

They are not oil tight these engines and odd smear of oil is to be expected

Smears not dropping oil on the road

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 - 09:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use hylomar on both sides. Grease is OK too, but hylomar will seal better (and doesn't set like silicone).

Jeff.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 - 09:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Bob suggests: A smear of oil on both mating surfaces will prevent the 'goop' from sticking to them while still allowing it to conform to/fill microscopic imperfections and sealing against virtually all leakage on unpressurised joints.
However there are improved versions of the old cork gaskets for sealing the rocker covers that will (at quite a cost) do the same job and probably do it better.

Chris Miller
Frequent User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 - 01:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan,

> However there are improved versions of the old
> cork gaskets for sealing the rocker covers that
> will (at quite a cost) do the same job and
> probably do it better.

"(at quite a cost)" -- yeah... Albers quoted me $200-ish for a non-cork gasket kit. I'm sure I can do a pretty good job for much less then $200.

I've been warned about silicone, and I assume that the reason is because silicone doesn't like to come off. I've use Permatex black before and it wasn't too bad in the removal department, so I'm not sure if the silicone warning extends to that, which claims to be a silicone product. In fact, I'm not really sure why I need a silicone prohibition.

Hylomar is news to me, but I see it has a long history with Rolls Royce. Is it not a silicone product? How difficult is it to remove?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 - 05:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used cork gaskets plus anaerobic sealer on my Car and it seems fine. This has been recommended to me by at least two experienced techs.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 - 07:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eco stick is quick and locates the gasket it is permanent and to replace the gasket you will have to scrap it off

Bloody predictive text

Evo not eco

Stump pan gasket

Silcone is ok but their is danger that it squeezes out into the engine and blocks something up

Silicone is easy to scape off with razor blade

On say a differential it is fine because there is nothing to block up and gears will chew it up

I have put many engines together never get oil leaks

Check around bolt holes for distortion

Sheet steel covers dress with hammer

Aluminum cast covers file flat

Check head mating surface for same

Use chalk on the file to prevent pinning the file with Aluminum which will give bad finish

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 - 08:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hylomar is not silicone. It's reasonably easy to remove with an old credit card or plastic scraper. Although you really don't have to get all of it off as it doesn't set like silicone does.

I used to go through tubes of the stuff when I raced Formula Ford. (My two local tracks were different enough that they required different gear sets, so the transmission had to come apart pretty much for every race.)

Cheers,
Jeff.