Replacing brake pressure switches : b... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Replacing brake pressure switches : bleeding ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 - 05:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just replaced both brake pressure switches as well as 2 low pressure hoses.
Do I have to bleed the entire system or can I get away with just bleeding the callipers ?

Benoit

Randy Roberson
Prolific User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would think it would likely self-bleed.Do you mean the hoses which supply fluid to the pumps? if so you might need to ensure against air lock at the pump. I defer to more experienced Members.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Randy notes, it's necessary to know which two low pressure hoses, although if it's the reservoir-to-pump feed hoses or the ACV-to-reservoir return hoses these do not require bleeding.

I can't remember if you have a Shadow original or two series, and the arrangement of the pressure switches is a bit different between the two.

Brian

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a Shadow 2 and the low pressure hoses are a reservoir to pump feed and a ACV to reservoir return hose.
I suspected thir replacement wouldn't incure bleeding of the system, but as I also replaced both brake pressure switches, I'm not so sure.

Benoit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, 16 April, 2014 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is no bleeding necessary for the reservoir feed or return hoses.

You're supposed to bleed the switches themselves just so that there's no air in those lines, but they're sort of "kingdoms unto themselves" otherwise.

I've bled these before and was surprised at the vigor with which the fluid escapes when compared with the brake calipers. Definitely have your piece of tubing attached to the bleed screws and a receptacle at the ready!!

Brian

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, 19 April, 2014 - 05:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bled the LH brake pressure switch succesfully, but there seems to be no bleed valve on the RH side one.

In its absence, is there another point I should bleed ?

Benoit

John Grieve
Experienced User
Username: john116

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2014 - 07:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As far as I know, there is no bleed point for the RH side switch, and no need to bleed it at any other point.

Service manual section for bleeding can be found here:

http://rrtechnical.info/SY/TSD4200/g/sections/g4.pdf

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2014 - 07:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Section G14 is actually the one related to the pressure switches and bleeding those. They show the left side one which, in SRH33576, is on top of the left side wheel well (if memory serves). I swore there was a bleed screw on the right pressure switch, too, but could be mistaken. They buried that far further down and in a relatively inaccessible location on the right side.

The workshop manual describes flip-flopping the pressure switches for diagnostics, if necessary, which implies that they are identical. I'll have to look on SRH33576 a bit later.

Brian

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, 20 April, 2014 - 07:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,

On the LH switch the bleed screw is not in the switch itself but in the housing the switch is screwed into.
If you remove part of the air inlet trunk the RH switch is not very hard to access on a Shadow 2. I then not only removed the switch but also the housing it is screwed into and there is no bleed screw anywhere to be found.

Benoit