Help with paint and leather colour co... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Help with paint and leather colour codes please? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marek Pruszynski
Yet to post message
Username: marek

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 04 September, 2004 - 05:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day all!
Being a "newbie", I've been looking for a good excuse to post my first question on your very informative forum, so here goes:
Can someone tell me how I can get paint and trim codes for one of my Shadows? Seems the plate is missing, or more likely was never attached...
The car in question is SRX 1327 - LHD Shadow I that was invoiced as "Broken White and upholstered in Off White leather" on 29th July 1966. I note that there was an additional charge of GBP 20.00 for "non-standard paintwork", and GBP 25.00 for "non-standard leather".
The car war painted in a bright white when I bought it, and I'd like to get it back to original spec. ASAP as it's such an early and excellent condition car, which has a pretty complete history with only 80,XXX original miles documented.
I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks!
Marek

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 339
Posted on Saturday, 04 September, 2004 - 05:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The best way is to order a copy of the factory build sheets.

If you know an RREC or RROC Inc (USA) member, they can order them for you.

I am not sure whether the RROC(A) offers this service as I have always ordered them from the RREC. Perhaps our moderators could advise.

They show all colours and options, along with probuction test results, defects and corrections. Also included are original order forms, invoices, dates, dealers and so on.

Every owner should have a set for an owned car or prospective purchase.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, 04 September, 2004 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

As usual you are correct in the availability of the Chassis Cards - the RROC[A] does not have these records [as yet].

With regard to the colour, Spiers-Hecker have a full listing of the R-R/B colours in 2K [two-pack] formulation and one of their distributors should be able to make up a 500ml sample pot for you to allow colour matching with 1K standard acrylic paint. Unfortunately ICI [Dulux] Australia cannot tint paint to the ICI UK codes as the tints are different - your paint was most likely an ICI UK formulation.

Mark Peacock
Frequent User
Username: takemehomejames

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, 05 September, 2004 - 09:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, do you know of anyone in the RREC, as id like to obtain the Chass cards for my 2 SS'dows.

Marek, if your going to breathe new life into your leather, These guys can help you with colour matching.

http://www.leatherique.com/prod03.htm

And make sure with your paint , that you use one brand all the way from etch primer to clear...

Some paint company's give warranty if professionally applied. I use Standox and swear by them.
(unless your using candy paint,then i use house of color)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, 05 September, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

email me on

richard.treacy@bluewin.ch

I don't like posting names unilaterally on the forum.

ps my Turbo R is finished with Standox water borne laquer in Brooklands Green (metallic). Standox is brilliant paint, and supplies most of Europe's manufacturers. Unlike European paints in th 1970s, Standox is well and truly suited to Australian sunny conditions. Barring damage it lasts forever.

Marek Pruszynski
New User
Username: marek

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 12 September, 2004 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for you helpful answers guys....
I actually found the code number for "Broken White" as 9500502 by looking through your old postings and finding the complete colour code listing. Still, no one has come up with a formulation, but I managed to get the local Dupont guy to "photo" it into his computer and find a 99% match colour, so I'll go with that as I'm ready to "shoot it" Monday or Tuesday.
With regard to Chassis Cards; I too don't know anyone in RREC, so Richard, if your friend doesn't mind.....? I had considered joining US-RROC, but as I intend to return to Oz within the next 12 months, so I might as well join you guys later huh?
My email's marek@arkansas.net
Mark, thanks for your info on "Leatherique", I heard about it, and "Liquid Leather" http://www.liquidleather.com/index.htm
but had never come accross anyone who had personal experience of the product, so I'll go on your recommendation.
I'm also quite interested to see (in a later post) that you have similar vehicle acquisitions to my own, an early ('66) Shadow I, and a Shadow II. (mine are: SRX 1327 and SRH 30768...I also have SRH 30726 which I am in the process of selling). I can get you some digital pictures of my SS1's wood veneer if it's any help, my cappings were purchased brand new from RR (not too recently though), but still look it, though my dash shows some aging. Let me know if and what exactly you need.
Thanks again for the recommendations,
Marek

Miguel A. Garcia
Frequent User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2005 - 09:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello Marek.
I own SRH3430 with its upholstery in magnolia colour.
I used the Liquid leather kit called master scuff: http://www.liquidleather.com/scuffs.htm for redying at firts, but i did not like the final look. In fact, this is just a kind of water based paint. Of course i followed instructions as included on the kit, but i feel this would not to be te right solution to a weared and close to cracked seats. After, i carried SRH3430 to a professional service called "smartrepair" http://www.smartrepair.net/ in where was applied a simmilar process as "Leatherique", with a very impressive result at firts, but after a few days of use, it started to peel off the thin film od applied water based paint with the same frustrating results as with the liquid leather kit, but highly more expensive. After 6 months of use, the seats has the SAME used, weared and cracked look that before both treatments. Someone told me In confidence that these treatments are used by car sellers to wash the face to cars to be sold. Is just makeup, but a BAD ONE and expensive too!!
My oppinion is that for a cracked leather, the only solution is a new upholstery, Expensive, YES, but other solutions are just like putting money in the dustbin.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2005 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are probably right Miguel. prevention is always better then cure and regular treatment (every six months at least), with Hide Food or any other top quality conditioner will always keep the leather supple. Of course, age always wins in the end and creases add to the character of the car. Leather, properly cared for will outlast any other covering.

David Gore

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the leather has been "painted" with any of the rejuvenating treatments; this "paint" must be removed completely before any new treatments are applied. The best way to remove the coating is to use plenty of saddle soap and water with a very soft nail brush to lift the coating followed by several "wipe-downs" with absorbent cloth and clean water. The saddle soap contains glycerine which helps soften the leather and lift the coating.

I have seen a number of vehicles treated with "Leatherique" with quite acceptable results HOWEVER it must be kept in mind this is only a cosmetic treatment which requires periodic retreatment; it is not a permanent cure for damaged leather but will allow the appearance of the interior to be enhanced until such time as the leather can be replaced. There is no substitute for using Connolly Hide Food or other reputable leather conditioner every 6 months to keep the leather supple, prevent drying out and consequent cracking. We have a very good Australian-made leather conditioner sold in saddlery shops called "Oakwood Leather Conditioner that has lanolin, bees wax and emu oil as the main ingredients [I have no connection with the manufacturer/distributors of this product other than a very satisfied customer]. This is a suitable replacement for Hide Food which may no longer be available following the reported demise of Connolly Leather. More information on Oakwood is available from the website below and they have overseas distributors:

www.oakwoodproducts.com

(Message edited by david_gore on October 04, 2005)

David Gore

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further to the above post:

Use this link for leather renovation hints:

http://www.oakwoodproducts.com.au/furniture.htm

See the Harley Davidson owner testimonials on this link:

http://www.oakwoodproducts.com.au/testimonials.htm

Stephe Boddice
Experienced User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2005 - 09:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The king is dead - long live the king!

Connelly's Hide Food (plus other products) are still available despite the demise of the original company. Go see: -
www.ukhide.co.uk

Plus ca change mais tout la meme chose.
(Everything changes but all stays the same.)

SB