Start up issues Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Start up issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Frequent User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 29 November, 2013 - 09:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With a pump of the right foot SRH19305 starts up a treat, no issues whilst driving. However I have noticed that when trying to start again after and hour or so of driving and leaving the car for 30 mins or so, I have to crank her over for a lot longer before she fires up. The generator light sometimes appears and verges on a stall. I did alter the idle pin which seems to have sorted that out but the start up is still proving awkward, particularly when I have a bride in the back looking a little panicked - any ideas out there in RR land - thank you

Jonas TRACHSEL
Experienced User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, 29 November, 2013 - 05:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Start SRH19305 before the bride is near the car....
Jonas

Kevin Lagden
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, 29 November, 2013 - 09:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very good Jonas, I already have that as plan B

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 866
Posted on Friday, 29 November, 2013 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First if the car still has the contact ignition system that was fitted oem then do check the contact faces for any pitting or discolouration, renew if that is the case.
When engine coil is hot the contacts with the condenser need to be in good order as do the plugs.

Now the cars are ageing the plug leads can also be a prob.

Last of all for the quick checks if all the above are ok is the carbs that can be problematic in hot summers if the fuel in the carbs evaperate through incorrect float hieght etc.
Foot hard to the floor with quicker start up may prove carb issues.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, 30 November, 2013 - 02:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin

I agree with Patrick, it appears to be a general tuning issue and you need to methodically check out the ignition and fuel systems. Since the car starts from cold and then has difficulty in restarting when hot this could indicate you are running too rich a mixture, however it is always good to check all the systems.

Geoff

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 523
Posted on Sunday, 01 December, 2013 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can you hear the pump(s) ticking from the driver's seat with the windows closed? If so, then give the starter a quick jab and then return the key to IGN. if it's just that the fuel in the float chambers has evaporated you will hear the pump(s) working the refill them. Once the ticking stops the car should start immediately on the next attempt.

Kevin Lagden
Prolific User

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, 01 December, 2013 - 05:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for all the suggestions I shall inspect soon and get back to you

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2013 - 08:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin, make sure you have the correct slotted fibre washers on the carb float chambers and they are between the lid and the banjo connection.