Fitting a new Steam Valve and Rubber ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Fitting a new Steam Valve and Rubber Washer to the Header Tank « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Moran
Experienced User
Username: mjcmoran

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 15 October, 2013 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So the cooling system refurbish continues...

I have now received a new steam valve and rubber washer from Flying Spares. However in the SS Workshop Manual I can find no mention of the fitting procedure or description of the interior of the header tank. Does anyone know where this is in the WM? I am sure it is in there somewhere!

For example where does the hole in the side of the valve supposed to point? Is there anything else in this fitting I must be careful of? It looks pretty simple but I have owned my car for 30 years...very little is as simple as it first appears on a Shadow! But I do love them...

Incidentally I am also fitting a new steam valve cover plate gasket.

I will also fit a new thermostat when I drain the coolant for its regular 2 year renewal (blue).

Michael

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, 16 October, 2013 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

I can't seem to locate this information in the Workshop Manual, either, but it really does appear to be a "pop it out and pop it in" affair.

There are several articles on this in Tee-One Topics, and Issue 45 will be of particular interest.

The most difficult and tedious part of the process appears to be removing the screws since they have a habit of seizing after years in place. If ever there was a place I'd apply anti-seize it's to these screws when putting the whole thing back together!!

Brian

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 16 October, 2013 - 02:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Michael,

Once you have the screws undone, it is straightforward. Fit the new steam valve with its widest flange at the bottom, sitting on the rubber seal. It is easy to fit it the wrong way up. The hole in the side of the steam valve must point to the overflow pipe. Make sure you fit a new gasket under the top plate before you refit it. That's all there is to it.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Chris

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Wednesday, 16 October, 2013 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My dear Michael/ You might like to look at the following references in Tee One Topics.

Issue 3 Page 12
Issue 30 Page 435
Issue 40 Page 586

Michael Moran
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 16 October, 2013 - 04:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill, Chris and Brian

You have all been tremendously helpful in what appears to be a simple task - however just checking!

I actually had the cover plate off to fit a new gasket during the cooling system replacements after the wedding embarrassment a couple of years ago. Yes, I have a new gasket for it. I agree it is fiddly but had no problem with seized screws. I just wish I had replaced the steam valve then but had no idea what I was looking at!

Thanks for the invaluable Tee One Topic references Bill.

Best as ever

Mike

Michael Moran
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 19 October, 2013 - 09:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just out of interest I have discovered that the steam valve was fitted upside down - that explains a few things I suppose.

Funny, common sense would indicate the wide flange at the bottom - I am not a mechanic but a musician and writer - it was clear enough to me considering the pressure principles involved.

Well, we shall see what transpires...

Michael