Squeak from the front Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Squeak from the front « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, 02 October, 2013 - 02:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car has developped an annoying squeak.
When driving over road imperfections, potholes, coblestones, etc... there is a loud squeak coming from the RH front corner. It is getting more and more frequent, now appearing even on undulating roads.
From cold it's not too bad but it gets progressively worse at operating temperature.

When braking the squeaking stops completely, only to reappear shortly afterwards. I checked the RH front brake and suspension (checking all bolts for tightness), but can't see anything wrong. The discs and pads have only done about 5000 miles and do not show any abnormal wear.

Pushing down on the front wing doesn't provoke the squeaking noise.

Any ideas are welcome.

Benoit

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, 02 October, 2013 - 03:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

try spraying WD40 at the compliance mounting rubber bush to see if anything changes. If not, try the other rubber bushes one at a time till you have done them all. If none of them make a difference then its not a rubber bush - But you have to start somewhere.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, 02 October, 2013 - 04:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Omar's suggestion in all but one detail: I'd use something other than WD-40 that has a bit more "cling" to it. There are certain silicone spray greases that tend to "hang around" longer than WD-40 does in situations such as these.

I had nasty sounds emanating from my Jag at one of the rubber bushings at the front, and you could not get it to make the noise except under road force conditions. It was eventually solved by removing it and lubricating it heavily with silicone grease (the really thick kind) prior to reinstallation.

Brian, who isn't at all worried that a spritz or two of WD-40 is going to "attack" anything in any meaningful sense

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, 02 October, 2013 - 04:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
Brian,

thank you for your quick replies.

I have a can of silicon grease lying around so I'll give it a try over the next few days.
However, it's still not clear to me why the squeaking stops the moment I apply the brakes.

Benoit

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 640
Posted on Wednesday, 02 October, 2013 - 05:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Benoit,

Remember, when you apply the brakes (even gently) it results in a significant redistribution of the car's weight and where, precisely, these various rubber parts are touching and what force is being applied at that moment.

My experience wasn't similar as far as braking stopping noise, but the noise could not be "induced by human attempts to bounce the car" but only when road forces were doing so. It would change based upon road surface conditions and a number of other factors while driving.

Brian, who hates non-hinge squeaks more than rattles since they're generally harder to trace down

Benoit Leus
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2013 - 05:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just thought an update would be nice.

It seems Omar and Brian were right.
I checked the front compliance mounts and discovered the RH one was split. Replacing both sides resulted in a squeak free car.

Thanks for all the help.

Benoit

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, 13 November, 2013 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another possibility that would show up on undulating roads, but not while braking, is a wheel bearing that is starting to dry out/wear loose in its bushing. If I'm right it would eventually start to squeak all the time. As a ten minute job it's well worth a look.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, 13 November, 2013 - 03:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Benoit,
Well done on finding the solution to your problem. A big thankyou for closing the loop by feeding back the solution. This will be tremendously helpful for people in the future.
Now let us hope we find a solution to your rear vibration issue soon.
Take care
Omar