Final drive cross member boot floor r... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Final drive cross member boot floor reinforcments « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Grieve
Experienced User
Username: john116

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 18 September, 2013 - 03:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi - just wondering if anyone makes re-inforcing plates for the final drive cross members in Silver Shadows? I've seen multiple pictures of ones that have been made, but just wondering if anyone actually sells them.

John Graham
Yet to post message
Username: john_graham

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 23 September, 2013 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can I please add my interest and comments to this thread. My early Shadow SRH1076 experienced what was referred to as an off-road moment (over-cooked on a corner?) where some enthusiastic throttle action to extricate the car detached the leading arm of the mount from the boot floor. This put the car off the road in the vernacular sense. In my defence, this all happened "not on my watch" and I have been slowly working to get this old girl back into service.

My investigations show that this damagehad been repaired earlier (by brazing) and this early repair means that my preferred repairer felt that welding would not take to an area that had been brazed before. It seems that a patch piece would be a good way to repair and strengthen at the same time. With my car the rubber remains intact (I have a spare anyway) but the problem is with the body shell's structure where the "tabs" have been torn.

If someone has already worked out a suitable patch piece that would be something that I would be keen to buy rather than reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

Philip Sproston
Experienced User
Username: phil2025

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 06 October, 2013 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John Vawser Motors had some plates made still could have some left.