Remove rear bumper Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Remove rear bumper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Miller
Experienced User
Username: cjm51213

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 06:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

I am disassembling a 1966 Silver Shadow and for the most part this is an enormously educational experience. I have removed the front bumper with no difficulty and the rear bumper is proving to be a bit more contentious. Those two bolts just below the lights were very happy where they were and had no intention of moving. I was able to convince one, but I had to get a little bit medieval on the other one, but I finally did prevail. This leaves the two attachments on the side. I see no access from any point. Can anybody tell me the secret?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 08:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a spanner from underneath the bumper usually does it. The bolts go into trapped nuts.

The elements may have taken their toll on them though.

Good luck.

Chris Miller
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 08:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The attachments on the side at the rear show neither end so nothing looking like a hex head is exposed, nor any wrench facets along the visible length, most of which is covered buy a rubber cone. Still looking for help.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 09:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the bolt should go through the fingers on the bracket attached to the wing. Head nearest the wing. thread in the bumper.
The rubber bit and bracket stay on the car. loosen the bolt then slide the bumper towards the rear of the car.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 09:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the bolt should go through the fingers on the bracket attached to the wing. Head nearest the wing. thread in the bumper.
The rubber bit and bracket stay on the car. loosen the bolt then slide the bumper towards the rear of the car.

Chris Miller
Experienced User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, 03 September, 2013 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

The solution turns out to be trivial and embarassing. Simply remove the carpet from the sides of the trunk and the heads of the bolts are obvious. Fortunately, the elements had not taken much of a toll at all, becuase there was not much room for a wrench.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.