Grease nipples. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Grease nipples. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.87.65.120
Posted on Sunday, 22 August, 2004 - 07:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, its me again.

I decided to do a grease and oil change the other day but could only manage the oil change. The grease nipples on my Shadow SRH 18294 are something I have never encountered before. How does one adapt the standard grease gun to fit or how does one change the nipples so the ordinary grease gun fits?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel,

I bought an adaptor years ago from a local automotive wholesaler. It slides over the grease points, and you use a standard grease gun on its nipple. They are nothing special. You may take the fitting from the car with you, but a photo would probably do.

If you can't source one locally anymore, as a last resort you can mail order one from the regular UK outlets over the web. They are very cheap.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 09:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those nipples Nigel, nobody has explained to me why they were used. Apparently they are often used on machinery and some trucks. They are certainly less likely to be knocked off (broken) than the conventional nipple. But try and keep them as they do lend an air of something to the car. They are more positive to 'fill' than the conventional ones which if they get a nick or dent from a stone leak grease everywhere but where you want it. For those who find their nipples have been changed by some insensitive Philistine, replacements are readily available usually from Truck dealers at under a quarter of the price the Factory sells them at!

Nigel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.87.53.59
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 08:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill and Richard, thanks for your time. I went to the local Auto Pro store but the chap there had not encountered them previously. I shall check out the truck outlets in Mackay next time I'm down there.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you have trouble email me and I'll get details of the supplier.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, 24 August, 2004 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

You can obtain a set of McNaught grease gun adapters for either Farm or Industrial use which include the specific "slide-on" adaptors for the R-R/B nipples but also include a number of other useful connectors/adaptors to cover almost all grease gun difficult applications.

If my brain is correct, I purchased my set from Repco [they had to buy it in for me] for around $100 - money well spent in this case. Castrol used to be the distibutor for MacNaught however they are also available from Blackwoods or any other industrial/farm supplier

Nigel Ralph
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.87.62.79
Posted on Wednesday, 25 August, 2004 - 08:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill and David, many thanks for your advice. I went to an industrial supplier today and he advised me that they are extremely good quality, high pressure nipples. He actually lent me his adapter which I used this afternoon and I shall return it tomorrow along with an order to purchase a basic model for around $60. I simply wonder what the mechanic used for my original grease oil change and wheel alignment when I first bought the car.

Miguel A. Garcia
Experienced User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 02:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello. I am going to buy a hand grease gun. As I have not the car near (and this weeks i shall not because i am in work trip) i do not know how the RR SSI grease nipples are. Please, could anyone tell me any reference or size of them so i can buy the gun? For reference, i upload 2 files with some sizes and references that the dealer where i want to buy has gave me for me to compare with the RR SSI ones...Please, any sugGestion or help?
regards and Thanks!
application/pdfNipples 2
niples2.pdf (93.0 k)
application/pdfNipples 1
niples1.pdf (83.7 k)
Mi RR is SRH3430

Stephe Boddice
New User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 07:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lads,
Check out the following site. Nipples, guns and adapters at prices considerably less than those quoted - even allowing for the postage.
www.vintagesupplies.com
SB